Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Red light on Dash Central Lock switch

My central locking switch on my '99 996 has adopted a strange new behavior. Normally the switch had no red light and all was good. However, these days while I driving the red light in the central locking dashboard switch comes on and then later turns off. I'm not sure what is causing it. I checked doors to see they were closed and they are. I've read somewhere here that the red light is normally on and is very annoying, but its been off for the last 8 years I've owned the car. Does the red light signify some fault (door lock not working) or do I have a dodgy connection somewhere and it has just started working normally?

• Moderators

Looks as you said a dodgy connection, on the condition that the central locking system works well. The light indicates that the central locking system is activated or not, but is independent of its operation, same as the rear fog light indication light. The light has no error code function.

There might be an intermittent condition appearing from time to time wrt your central locking system.

When you lock or unlock the car, are the direction yellow lights blinking once or twice as they should?

If not, something might be the matter intermittently with your locking system such as door latches for example. Best guess!

Y2K911,

You might be right. I've heard the alarm 'beep' occasionally when I lock it. I've checked the doors/hood/trunk and all look good.

I've also seen the passenger door window not drop when closing. On the passenger door I've seen it work fine if I just repeat the closing but am sure the exterior handle is completely operating/moving... Perhaps the passenger door latch is sticking?

Y2K911,

You might be right. I've heard the alarm 'beep' occasionally when I lock it. I've checked the doors/hood/trunk and all look good.

I've also seen the passenger door window not drop when closing. On the passenger door I've seen it work fine if I just repeat the closing but am sure the exterior handle is completely operating/moving... Perhaps the passenger door latch is sticking?

You have electrical micro-sensors attached to interior and exterior door handles that drops the window when opening the doors and raises the window when door is closed. Most likely the one on the passenger's side needs to be replaced. When there is a faulty micro-switch the light on the Central Locking Switch on the dash does strange things.

You can try removing and spraying the connections in the door with electrical cleaner but more times than not they just need to be replaced. Unfortunately they don't sell only the electrical micro-sensor replacement part and you have to buy the entire door locking assembly. The part number (for a 1999 - 996) is 3B1-837-016-P for right door and costs about $190-$200. Check with Sunset Porsche for a possible better price.

Edited by kbrandsma

Hi there dammad,

I had the exact same problem, whereby the horn would intermittently beep and the central locking switch light would come on.

For me, it turned out to be a faulty passenger lock mechanism. Same as described above regarding the mocro switch and yes, it is not servicable and the entire lock mechanism needs replacing.

Good luck with your repairs.

Peter