Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

05 Base Cayenne 6 speed - Cel codes p0300 and p0302

Hello Everyone,

My 05 Cayenne (base 6 speed manual) just threw cel codes p0300 and P0302. I did some research and it looks like i should start with replacing the coil pack on cylinder 2. Is this correct?

For refernce I am attaching a diagram of which cylinder is which - thank you Loren for providing this.

post-93119-0-80571000-1388173328_thumb.p

I would first suggest swapping the coil to a different cylinder and seeing if the misfire codes move to whatever cylinder you swapped to. So take the coil for cylinder two and swap it with the coil for cylinder 5 for instance and erase the faults and take it for a drive. If you get a p0305 then you know you've got a bad coil. If you still get p0302 then you've eliminated the coil and you can start looking at other thing (though I would almost gaurantee the coil is the issue. Have the pulled the coils yet to inspect? You may find when you pull the coil for cylinder 2 its all rusty and corroded.

Update - Replaced coil pack on cylinder 2 and reset the the check engine. The Cayenne ran fine for about 50 miles and started idling rough again and threw another cel. This time I am showing P0300, P0301 and P0304. IS it safe to say that all coils/plugs have to be replaced or is there something else wrong?

Update - Replaced coil pack on cylinder 2 and reset the the check engine. The Cayenne ran fine for about 50 miles and started idling rough again and threw another cel. This time I am showing P0300, P0301 and P0304. IS it safe to say that all coils/plugs have to be replaced or is there something else wrong?

What are the condition of your spark plugs? The recommended replacement interval is 40K miles for the V6. How many miles are on it and or have you ever changed the plugs? If your plugs are relatively fresh its almost guaranteed the coils are causing your problem, not much else typically will cause misfires on these cars. Since after replacing the #2 coil your P0302 didn't come back, I would say replacing the rest of your coils would be the best call.

Thank you for your post PTEC. My Cayenne has 114,000 miles at this point and I have been the owner since 72,000. The plugs have not been replaced during my ownership. My wife is picking up plugs and the rest of the coils as we speak. I will update once everything has been swaped.

Edited by njrbd

Update - Replaced all coils, plugs , reset cel and shes purring like a kitten. Went for a nice long ride everything checks out. Will be putting some more miles this weekend for a true test.

Pics of my night...

My babies outside in the cold :( - Cayenne is in the garage under investigation.

IMG_1792_zps0e8293c7.jpg

-removed the plastic cover

-pulled off all the coil pack connectors using a tool i devised (bent wire)

-unbolted all of the spark plugs using a 16mm socket with about a 12" extension

IMG_1811_zpsd2941529.jpg

IMG_1796_zpse0e55b29.jpg

IMG_1809_zps2fed268b.jpg

New Spark Plugs OEM NGK's

IMG_1827_zpsde52dd93.jpg

Looks Like someone has been in there before me..

coil pack 1 &2 from the left are from the car the 1st one on the left is the original VW part # 022 905 100L while the middle and the one on the right (new coil pack) are new VW part #'s 022 905 715B. Old coil packs are showing alot of wear as well as the spark plugs

IMG_1821_zps2f99ec41.jpg

IMG_1825_zps597f7490.jpg

IMG_1816_zps2434d4a2.jpg

IMG_1819_zps830baf2a.jpg

IMG_1795_zps1da3c9ae.jpg

IMG_1834_zps89d02df4.jpg

IMG_1842_zpseeea6d2d.jpg

Edited by njrbd

Thank you for your post PTEC. My Cayenne has 114,000 miles at this point and I have been the owner since 72,000. The plugs have not been replaced during my ownership. My wife is picking up plugs and the rest of the coils as we speak. I will update once everything has been swaped.

No problem. Good to hear she's back to full strength.

• 2 weeks later...