Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997 Operator problem...

Hi Guys

I had the battery on my 997 Carrera 4S run down completely due to being away on holiday. While struggling to get the bonnet/hood open to gain access to the battery (stupid me, forgot the trick of connecting a spare battery to the contact in the fuse box) I saw this ring attached to a cable situated on the driver side between the door and the front wing (car is right hand drive). Needless to say, I pulled on it, thinking it might be an emergency bonnet/hood release cable or something. I have since got the battery recharged and everything is fine, apart from this cable with ring attached that is now dangling in the gap between the door and the wing.... What is this and how do I go about fixing it??? Please help before I break something else...

Etienne

post-36319-0-76303500-1389782462_thumb.j

post-36319-0-91409100-1389782500_thumb.j

If just the pull ring broke then I would say it is optional to fix. But if the locking pin is broken off then you fuel door will not lock when you lock the car -- or set off the alarm if someone were to pry the fuel door open with the alarm set.

Okay, thanks for that. I'll check when I get home. I didn't hear anything break though, just the fact that the ring with cable attached is dangling where it shouldn't be worried me.

Hi Loren

I checked last night. The fuel door does lock when the central locking is activated. It seems as if the ring is supposed to retract and if that is not happening? Does that make sense? What would you suggest?

Take care

• Admin

May just be some dirt keeping the collar from retracting. I would just push it in - then next time you wash the car be sure to spray up under the fender to try and clean that area.

Should be no harm as long as it works next time you need it. (I have never needed mine in 12 years).

May just be some dirt keeping the collar from retracting. I would just push it in - then next time you wash the car be sure to spray up under the fender to try and clean that area.

Should be no harm as long as it works next time you need it. (I have never needed mine in 12 years).

Thanks Loren!! Much appreciated.