Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

• Moderators

Anybody have any thoughts on replacing the oil filter element with an LN Spin on Oil Filter adapter on a 2006 911.

We have installed many of these, they are an excellent upgrade for the car. Along with about a 30% finer filter media, the spin on filter offers "full flow" filtration (read no by pass) at all times.

• Moderators

Been running one for 20k miles with stable oil with pressure and no problems to date.

Only draw back...

Its a pain in the a$$ to open up the canister to inspect the filter for metal particles.

Not a problem with the correct tool, but not everyone has one.

I just ordered the Proform oil filter cutter from Summit for $75.97. Too bad i have another 2100 miles to go before i get to use the new tool.

Here are the vitals from summit web site...

Manufacturer's Part Number:66490
Part Type:Oil Filter Cutters
Summit Racing Part Number:PRO-66490

UPC:037995364909
Cutter Material:Billet aluminum
Cutter Finish:Red anodized
Quantity:Sold individually.
In-Store Pickup:Choose In-store pick-up (OH, GA, NV) on our web site.

This one is by Proform, and my personal favorite because all of the cutting wheels and bearings are replaceable:

pro-66490_w.jpg

JFP, I have seen the LN spin on adapter and it does look well made. I know Porsche increased the size of the filter with the 977.2. Can you use a larger filter (surface area) with the LN adapter? Is this really worth the money and why. I heard the no by pass part but I though if you changed the filter regularly you would never go on bypass. Buying a filter cutter all hinges on this. You can get 5-6 oil analyses for the price of this stuff combined and it does give you a lot more information about the car than examining your oil filter. I suppose in a perfect world we would do both.

Edited by Mijostyn

• Moderators

This one is by Proform, and my personal favorite because all of the cutting wheels and bearings are replaceable:

pro-66490_w.jpg

JFP, I have seen the LN spin on adapter and it does look well made. I know Porsche increased the size of the filter with the 977.2. Can you use a larger filter (surface area) with the LN adapter? Is this really worth the money and why. I heard the no by pass part but I though if you changed the filter regularly you would never go on bypass. Buying a filter cutter all hinges on this. You can get 5-6 oil analyses for the price of this stuff combined and it does give you a lot more information about the car than examining your oil filter. I suppose in a perfect world we would do both.

The bypass valve in the stock cannister housing is a rather cheap device that gets tired over time and really should be replaced as it tends to open more frequently with age, often when it is not even needed.

You can go to a longer filter as the LN adaptor is using a standard GM oil filter (specifically for the Corvette), but with the spin on's media area, and the finer pore size of the filter media, it really has not been needed, even on heavily tracked cars. As we run UOA's on most of our customer's cars, many with the LN adaptor, and to date have not seen any negatives from the filter size. You also need to watch how long a filter you choose as it will be hanging out under the car.

Now that is a pretty picture..... "Suicidal Porsche driver runs over a rabbit at 120 miles per hour, knocks off his oil filter and blows up his engine. Every other vehicle coming round the bend slides on the massive oil slick and crashes into grandma Smith's barn. It is most definitely , "Time for tea."

• Moderators

Now that is a pretty picture..... "Suicidal Porsche driver runs over a rabbit at 120 miles per hour, knocks off his oil filter and blows up his engine. Every other vehicle coming round the bend slides on the massive oil slick and crashes into grandma Smith's barn. It is most definitely , "Time for tea."

Well, considering that we have had customers impact crack the OEM plastic filter housing, it ain't far from the truth.

• 9 months later...

I recently purchased a spin-on oil filter adapter from Pelican Parts for my 2007 Carrera.  What would be the best filter to use?  I'm located in Ottawa, Canada and have access to NAPA and Amazon.  All suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

Andry

• Moderators

I recently purchased a spin-on oil filter adapter from Pelican Parts for my 2007 Carrera.  What would be the best filter to use?  I'm located in Ottawa, Canada and have access to NAPA and Amazon.  All suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

Andry

We prefer the Wix/NAPA Gold 51042 filter, or the 51042XP with synthetic filter media.  Both are found at many auto parts stores as well as online.

• 2 weeks later...