Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Really dirty air filter element

I just changed out the air filter element on my car. I was shocked to find a layer of ground up leaves on top of it (black foam side), and after I got the old filter out and turned it over a huge amount of fine dirt was expelled. My vacuum cleaner fortunately was able to get all the stuff out of the lower (downstream) chamber. This filter was a genuine Porsche part with date code of 03-06-11 (presumably European date 3 June 2011), so the filter had been changed in the last couple of years. CarFax says air filter changed 11 July 2011, mileage 48,708.

The mileage is now at 51,580. How in the heck did the filter element get so dirty/full of debris in 3K miles? Is this typical for the Boxster design, with the air intake exposed through the car body at the side?

• Moderators

I just changed out the air filter element on my car. I was shocked to find a layer of ground up leaves on top of it (black foam side), and after I got the old filter out and turned it over a huge amount of fine dirt was expelled. My vacuum cleaner fortunately was able to get all the stuff out of the lower (downstream) chamber. This filter was a genuine Porsche part with date code of 03-06-11 (presumably European date 3 June 2011), so the filter had been changed in the last couple of years. CarFax says air filter changed 11 July 2011, mileage 48,708.

The mileage is now at 51,580. How in the heck did the filter element get so dirty/full of debris in 3K miles? Is this typical for the Boxster design, with the air intake exposed through the car body at the side?

Your problem is exactly why I laugh when people spend a lot of money for aftermarket "cold air" intakes for these cars. The Boxster air intake setup pulls in cold air from the driver's side port, along with anything else that happens to be near by (leaves, dirt, debris, small children, etc.). Depending upon the type of roads you drive on, annual or even semi annual filter changes are an excellent maintenance item. The filters are cheap, readily available, and easy to change; we use the Wix/NAPA Gold 42475 which retails at auto parts stores for about $16.

My car sat on the dealer's lot for much of the past two years....maybe some clueless groundskeepers with leaf blowers blew crud into the intake.

I used a Mann C2558/5 filter, which is $15 at RockAuto. Looks just like the genuine Porsche filter, perhaps Mann is OEM. Both stamped made in Austria.

The Boxster air filter box is unlike any other car's that I've owned. Normally the bottom of the box is the upstream (dirty) side. On the Boxster the bottom of the box is the downstream (clean) side, and when you slide out the dirty filter any debris on top gets scraped off and falls down into the bottom of the box.

Edited by Dennis Nicholls