Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Went for a spirited drive up to the top of Mount Hamilton.

The car water temperature is normal at 210F. Near the top of the mountain

I was looking at 240F. Is this too hot.

I have cleaned out the radiators a few years ago.

The car has 130,000 miles on it. I blew up the motor at Buttonwillow

Race track. I had a new factory rebuilt motor installed around 60,000 miles.

Should a 70,000 motor take these 240F temperatures. Luckie for me it was only

near the top of the mountain.

Thanks for any replies.

Paul, I think you are looking at your oil temp. It is not unusual at all for your oil to get up to 240 after a hard run. At 240 I believe your coolant would be boiling over all over the road.

I don't know where you live but, here in New England in the fall we are buried in leaves. I have to clean out my radiators every couple of weeks. You need to check them routinely, a little more than every couple of years!!

Our water temperatures here in the UK go from 40 -120 (C of course!) so I thought WHAT?? until I looked at a US binnacle and of course yours go 100 - 250 (F!) so yes in answer to your question, assuming you were reading water temperature, it was hot. 250 is the STOP now point so maybe you need to look at those radiators and your fan operation or, if not fitted already, consider a low temperature stat (I know before anyone chimes in that it will not reduce running temperatures just opening point :lol: ) coupled with the third (centre) radiator. These engines do not like high temperatures and according to what I have gleaned over time, it is considered to be the most likely cause of bore scoring/cracking.

OK, just read your signature, you are running Tiptronic so should already have the third radiator. Maybe add the GT3 vent above the third radiator to get rid of the heat more efficiently?

Edited by jl-c

Our water temperatures here in the UK go from 40 -120 (C of course!) so I thought WHAT?? until I looked at a US binnacle and of course yours go 100 - 250 (F!) so yes in answer to your question, assuming you were reading water temperature, it was hot. 250 is the STOP now point so maybe you need to look at those radiators and your fan operation or, if not fitted already, consider a low temperature stat (I know before anyone chimes in that it will not reduce running temperatures just opening point :lol: ) coupled with the third (centre) radiator. These engines do not like high temperatures and according to what I have gleaned over time, it is considered to be the most likely cause of bore scoring/cracking.

OK, just read your signature, you are running Tiptronic so should already have the third radiator. Maybe add the GT3 vent above the third radiator to get rid of the heat more efficiently?

Jl-c. My water temp runs a very consistent 175 F your 80 C. Just because the gauge goes to 250 F doesn't mean your coolant temp should. If Paul's coolant temp is getting to 240 he has a real problem. But, he said his normal temp was 210 which is right at where my oil temp runs.

• 3 weeks later...

So it is the gauge on the left. Looks like

a large water container filer next to the needle.

I will look at the radiators. I will also get a price for new radiators.

I heard that you need a negative suction pump to fill it.

I also heard that you can just fill it and keep adding fluid for a while.

Thanks for all the replies.

Paul

Paul, the guage on the left is the oil temp. The water temp is to the right.

The radiators are quite large. A lot of the little fins may be bent from stones and such getting kicked into the intake but this actually does not affect their performance as most of the radiator is out of the firing line. As long as the radiators are not leaking and your water temp runs around 175 F in casual driving you are fine. Just keep the intakes clean. I use a strong shop vac to suck everything out.

Just top the coolant off as needed. You do not need to replace it otherwise until some work needs to be done on the system like getting a new water pump. Only if the coolant becomes contaminated with say...oil, do you need to suck it out. And, in that case, that will not be the only sucking sound you will hear as your wallet shrivels up!

Edited by Mijostyn

The water temp gauge is nothing more than a glorified idiot light, once warm it sits at 175°F regardless of the real temp and only changes under extreme circumstances.

The oil temp gauge actually works like it should. I can hit 225°F with just one hard run to 60 or 70 mph. I have to work a little harder to get to 240°F, but I can easily see how some spirited driving up a mountain would do this.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Cleaning out the radiator area is not a bad idea and adding some sort of screens to protect them and help keep them clean is not a bad idea either.

• 3 weeks later...

do you need to suck it out. And, in that case, that will not be the only sucking sound you will hear as your wallet shrivels up!

You are funny. I remember way back prior to the initiation of hostilities during the Gulf War 1, one of the naval commanders informed everyone to be fast, furious and aggressive but remember that a sucking chest wound is natures way of telling you to slow down.