Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I'm installing a bumper mounted (on the recess above the license plate) backup camera in conjunction with a double din GPS monitor. The directions are rather sparse, can I go to the backup light wiring in the tail light for power? This would give me both switching and power.

Thanks,

These are from other posts:

"I also powered the rear camera from the driver's side backup tail light spliced in with the purple/white wire that goes to the HU and located a grounding source nearby. You'll also need to change your power source to battery in the HU setup screen."

"Backup camera = backup lights. Get power and ground there."

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/26098-how-to-run-backup-camera-wiring/

We've run a lot of new wiring up the left side threshold area during my engine swap, that gave us good proximity to the fuse panel. However having had most of the interior out of the car at one point or another I have yet to never figured out how to run wires forward through the center console under the rear seat pan.

I bought this backup camera from Crutchfield, very small, 165 degree view, it reverses the rear view. It comes with a 6' pig tail and 22' of cabling with connectors. I had the local avionics guy cut down the 6' pigtail to 1' so I didn't have a bunch of extra wiring behind the bumper. The wires are small gauge so I didn't want to muck up the wiring with my solder job.

Nice unit, a tad pricey... http://www.crutchfield.com/p_074RVC115T/Accele-RVC1150T.html

Thanks for the replies...

After reviewing the minimal installation instructions that came with the backup camera I'm not sure the above information works. Now I'm thinking that the + and - goes to a switchable power source, and "maybe" a wire comes off the back of the monitor and connects to the back up light wire in the tail light to tell the monitor that you're in reverse?

I don't have the GPS 7" monitor yet so I won't know if this is correct or not... Stay tuned, film at eleven...

When you connect the + of the camera to the revers bulb wire ( -/gound can be connected anywhere on the chassis), the camera gets power when the reverse gear is engaged. When the camera is powered it will send video signal to the GPS and you should view the image from the camera. Presume the GPS must be on as well. I would not connect the GPS power to the reverse power wire because the GPS would only work when reverse is engaged. Would suggest to read the GPS instructions as to how to connect the camera. Does it makes sense?

When you connect the + of the camera to the revers bulb wire ( -/gound can be connected anywhere on the chassis), the camera gets power when the reverse gear is engaged. When the camera is powered it will send video signal to the GPS and you should view the image from the camera. Presume the GPS must be on as well. I would not connect the GPS power to the reverse power wire because the GPS would only work when reverse is engaged. Would suggest to read the GPS instructions as to how to connect the camera. Does it makes sense?

Hi8,

I never intended to connected the GPS power wire to the backup lights, however I had a friend that just installed a backup camera in his truck and he thought there was a backup camera wire out of the back of the monitor that switched the screen to the backup view. Once I have the new Nav I'm sure I'll come up with the correct wiring.

I'm off to the garage to put the car on the lift, then I'll remove the rear bumper/valance to install the backup camera and run the wires into the engine room. From there I can run wire forward and into the right side tail light housing.

Thanks for the reply...

Planning to install a reverse camera on my MY99 996. Plz let me know the rout you used to run the camera cables from the license plate to the engine room. After checking have not figure out how to do that.

Thanks.

Hi8, I've got the rear valance down and tomorrow evening I'll run the cables. One way I was thinking about running the cable is through the fender well where my PSE vacuum line goes through a rubber grommet. However the muffler is right there and the only protection from heat is the foil insulation. Once into the engine room I'm going to look at going through the big grommet that houses the 2 engine harnesses. They are located high on the right fender well. This will allow me to get into the rear seat area...

Here's the way I ran my backup camera wiring. However the one problem area that I alluded to early is that you need to wrap the wiring that runs behind the aluminum heat shield where the muffler is mounted. I used some exhaust pipe wrap as an added shield. Here are some pixs...

post-85466-0-89227700-1395890512_thumb.j

post-85466-0-26376200-1395890899_thumb.j

post-85466-0-80180100-1395890924_thumb.j

post-85466-0-50337100-1395890946_thumb.j

I received my new 7" dbl din JVC GPS/Nav unit, turns out there is a wire from the back of the unit that connects to the reverse light wiring. So you have a switched + and the ground, then in my case I have a purple/white wire from the back of the unit that shows connecting to the reverse light wiring.

"Violet/white

Of the two lead wires connected to the back lamp, connect the one

in which the voltage changes when the gear shift is in the

REVERSE ® position This connection enables the unit to

sense whether the car is moving forwards or backwards."

There is a reverse signal wire under the driver's seat, don't recall the color/s. There is where the violet(purple)/white wire from the radio harness is to be connected.That signal tells the head unit the reverse is engaged and it will send the video signal from the camera to the screen.