Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Clamshell going up on passenger side only

The transmission motor for the convertible top I believe. It a snapped cable.

I had the same thing happen to me. Not to scare you, but I took it to a dealership and ouch, 3k. 700 for the motor, 1k for the body work since the motor bent the internal frame it was on, then the rest was for labor. My clamshell was bent as well.

Didn't have much a choice :/ I hope you faired better than I did.

Good luck and keep us updated sir.

+1 Broken cable from the transmission back to the motor. Easy to fix. Also check all parts on both sides for broken parts or missing clips and also check lining for tears and future leaks.

Sometimes the transmission cable will fail because it's trying to turn broken or stuck or frozen levers.

Edited by kbrandsma

The transmission motor for the convertible top I believe. It a snapped cable.

I had the same thing happen to me. Not to scare you, but I took it to a dealership and ouch, 3k. 700 for the motor, 1k for the body work since the motor bent the internal frame it was on, then the rest was for labor. My clamshell was bent as well.

Didn't have much a choice :/ I hope you faired better than I did.

Good luck and keep us updated sir.

Thanks. We're they able to fix the bent clamshell/stowable compartment? If it was a snapped cable, why was the dealer wanting to replace the motor?

Sorry I meant it could also be a snapped cable. When I get off work I can find this link how they were able to bend it back. Got a picture of the damage? The cables snapped can snap due to bad motor cause only one is pulling out of two. So it pulls unevenly with lots of load on one cable.

+1 Broken cable from the transmission back to the motor. Easy to fix. Also check all parts on both sides for broken parts or missing clips and also check lining for tears and future leaks.

Sometimes the transmission cable will fail because it's trying to turn broken or stuck or frozen levers.

Thanks. I like the easy to fix part. Any good source on the steps to do? Any issues with timing the transmission after cable replacement? I should just replace both cables while I am at it.

Sorry I meant it could also be a snapped cable. When I get off work I can find this link how they were able to bend it back. Got a picture of the damage? The cables snapped can snap due to bad motor cause only one is pulling out of two. So it pulls unevenly with lots of load on one cable.

I will get a picture of the damage next time I go to storage. So a bad motor might also be a part of this. I assume the motor not only raises the clamshell, but also the top itself.

Too bad there isn't some kind of relay that recognizes the clamshell is not being raised evenly and just stops the process. At least that would prevent the resultant torquing of the clamshell that occurs.

A new clamshell part runs about a grand. This 1998 only has about 25,000 miles on it so we shall see. The wife says she would leave the dent as is. The link would be great.

Actually no. It is not an alignment issue. I attempted to put the top up not knowing I had an issue with only one side being raised. Unfortunately, it went up high enough where the top on one side has a stress dent on the side that went up leaving me to assume that whatever hardware is on the underside caused the dent.

Thanks. I like the easy to fix part. Any good source on the steps to do? Any issues with timing the transmission after cable replacement? I should just replace both cables while I am at it.

You can use a battery operated drill to get both sides (levers) exactly equal or exactly at the same position. I'll post a link with excellent photos and steps to follow. PRESS HERE

Also search for Top articles by 1schoir on this site! PRESS HERE or HERE

Edited by kbrandsma

• 5 years later...
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, Mel Chapman said:

Will a bad relay cause the clamshell to rise only on one side? Or is is the cable that causes it to jam?  Mel 

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

No.  It is the drive that moves the clamshell.