Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

The oil temp on my 997C2 (3.6 engine) runs at 215-220 on a 90+ degree day in stop and go driving. It comes down in steady freeway driving but creeps back up in slower traffic. It never goes above 220, even under spirited use. High ambient temps are the norm in Phoenix from April through September I'm concerned about high oil temperature. Water temp is normal even in stop and go driving. Thx in advance for your input.

Lyn

Run a high quality 5W40 (Motul 8100 Excess would be a great choice) or Mobil 5W50 full synthetic oil. Change it every 5,000 miles or at least yearly. Keep your water pump properly maintained, and change it out before it fails with another OE Porsche pump. Use Porsche coolant, and flush the system. Make sure your drive belt (serpt. belt) is maintained to the proper interval. Change your thermostst when you do the pump and coolant, since it's only a $40 part, while-you're-in-there. Make sure your front air intakes and radiators are clean & clear. This may require the bumper to be pulled (no BIG deal) to get proper access and cleaning.

Be extra diligent with your oil levels and coolant levels.

Edited by White987S

Sounds pretty normal. As White987S says, just be diligent on your service. I would recommend using Mobile 5W40. I don't think you need the heavier weights unless you are going to track the car. I spoke to Porsche North America not to long ago and they recommended having the higher oil temps to evaporate any moisture or fuel dilution out of your oil. Happy motoring and I wouldn't be worried about it.

Jermmy

Just an update to my original post; I do use Motul 5-40 and change it every 3000 miles. The radiators are clean of any leaves or other crap and I installed a new water pump/serpentine belt and flushed the system with Porsche coolant at 25, 000 miles. Thx for your input and I'll just keep putting miles on it and monitoring the oil temp.

Just an update to my original post; I do use Motul 5-40 and change it every 3000 miles. The radiators are clean of any leaves or other crap and I installed a new water pump/serpentine belt and flushed the system with Porsche coolant at 25, 000 miles. Thx for your input and I'll just keep putting miles on it and monitoring the oil temp.

Excellent. You are the kind of owner I'd want to purchase a used Porsche from.

Hey Lyn, All this is great advice. I have watched my oil carefully with analyses every three thousand miles at first. You can easily run your oil 6 thousand miles. In my car 10,000 is way too far. The oil becomes diluted with fuel and the viscosity drops. You can do every three thousand if you like. But, it is a lot of oil and there are environmental concerns. 6 thouasand is absolutely safe with any fully syntrhetic (Volkswagen 502 spec) oil. 5W40 is actually a bit thicker overall than 0W40. In your environment a 5W40 is just fine. If you were tracking the car frequently then a 5W50 would be a good choice. Don't get too neurotic about it. Enjoy the car. these thing were made to beat on kepp it above 3000 rpm and Rock and Roll.