Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tune Preference

Of course I have a preference…Ultimate Motor Werks! I am far away from being a person who knows a lot about modified TT's but I am more than happy about UMW tune and also about after sale service. Kevin is really one of the best out there….http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-turbo-forum/810206-2014-ultimate-motorwerks-spring-tuning-special.htmlhttp://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-turbo-forum/810206-2014-ultimate-motorwerks-spring-tuning-special.html

+1 on Kevin's tune.  He can send you a device that will log data and use the data to customize the tune.  BTW, the headers are likely not getting you anything and if they are longer than stock, they may be hurting.

There are several tuners that have a good rep.  Mark (911tuning), EPL and Protomotive to name a few.  I would give them each a call and see whom you feel most comfortable with

Edited by wross996TT

My favorite tuner is APR and thats because they have figured out a way to change fuel maps on the fly via the cruise control stalk. So if you run 91 octane it runs on 1 map, if you run 93 or 100, you can switch it without having to plug in and reflash. The only problem is that they don't have a tune for X50 cars. When I had my X50 car years back, they offered to tune it for free as they needed a X50 guinea pig... As i don't live anywhere close to Georgia i got on some Porsche forums and asked around and told anybody with a X50 that they could go to APR and they would tune their car for free. I literally got kicked off one forum for that suggestion. At the time, old school Porsche idiots knew nothing but GIAC (which sucks in my humble opinion) and they thought I worked for APR and that APR was a fly by night small tuner. This was of course before APR had their web site up which shows how small they're not. Still dont know if they ever came up with an X50 tune. But besides them, Markski at 911tuning.com knows more about modified 996 TT's than anybody I know of and he's very hands on and extremely helpful. I worked with him on a 700 hp x50 project that turned out stellar...

• 3 weeks later...

I'd have to agree with UMW's tune -- had one on my 996tt (before trading it) -- man do I miss it.  Smooth and very drivable out of boost, and in boost, torque like you cannot believe. :) 

Switched from GIAC to UMW as Kevin's tune was not just about raw power - it had drivability factors such as torque coming in sooner.  

Of course I have no affiliation with UMW or Kevin. Just a hope my 981CS will someday perform like that (not likely to have that kind of HP/Torque)