Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Convert 3-channel ABS to 4-channel ABS Parts Question.

History:  Converting 2000 ABS 5.3 (3-channel) to 2002 ABS 5.7 (4-channel).

I have questions regarding brake line parts converting a 3-chanel ABS 5.3 to a 4-channel ABS 5.7.  I have looked through the PET catalog and identified the parts I believe I will need and I am looking for confirmation.  I do not want to not order a part due to an oversight or order incorrect parts. 

Graphic 1:

#7  99635532605  - brake line.  This part number supersedes 99635532604

#8  99635565027 - Intermediate piece.

Graphic 2:

#(18) 99635517711 - brake line.  This part number supersedes 99635517707

#(21) 99635576031 - connecting piece fourfold.  This will split the rear brakes, but allow me to run a second brake line from the rear to the front of the car - the 4th channel.

#(22) 99635557107  - vacuum line.  I am not sure if I need this part and that it already exists on a 2000 C2.  Can someone please confirm this or will I need this?

Graphic 3:

#(1) 99635518907 - brake line.  This part number supersedes 99635518906.

#(8) 99635519056 - brake line.  This part number supersedes 99635519052.

#(14) 99635557506 - vacuum line.   am not sure if I need this part and that it already exists on a 2000 C2.  Can someone please confirm this or will I need this?

Thanks

post-25004-0-35823100-1403621999_thumb.j

post-25004-0-12606500-1403622009_thumb.j

post-25004-0-51059800-1403622015_thumb.j

I did look at and compare the two diagrams.  In the 3-channel system, there is a "T" splitting the rear hydraulic lines compared to a the fourfold connector in the 4-channel system.  My assumption is the fourfold allows two brake lines from the hydraulic unit to come into a 'splitter' box that then runs to each of the rear brakes. 

One thing I do not see in either diagram is the vacuum line.  My attention was drawn to this due to the PET diagram and being associated with the intermediate piece.  I firmly believe the vacuum lines are already there based on PET and the service manuals, but I am not 100% sure this is the case.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

When I did my update, I converted my 2000 5.2 DME to the 7.2 DME.  Along with this conversion, I also changed out my ABS 5.3 to the ABS 5.7 Control Module.  This was primarily because when I converted my 2000 engine to the 2002 engine, I had to change out a number of things, the instrument cluster, DME and essentially all the electronics that go with the 2002 to include the ABS 5.7, wheel speed sensors, rear wiring harness, etc.  I did have to buy the car side electrical connector that fits into the 5.7 controller which required me to splice the wires from the car side into the new connector because I did not upgrade the front wiring harness.  This was problematic because the front wheel speed sensors connectors are different between the 2000 and 2002 as you said above.  Ideally, the front wiring harness that has the newer type connectors (staggered) is the way to go.  The rear wheel sensors are what's needed to register the speed on the instrument cluster.  All four sensors receive signals from each wheel for the ABS to work correctly and the ABS control module applies the appropriate level of 'breaking' to maintain control of the 911 in adverse driving conditions, aggressive driving, etc.

I hope this helps.  If you have more questions, let me know.