Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 C2 Noisy Suspension - 55k miles

I have a noisy or squeaking suspension on my 996.  I thought it was coming from the back and changed the drop links and sway bar bushes. At first I thought I had solved it, but now it seems to have come back and is fairly elusive.  I now think it comes from the front.  The strange thing is that it does not happen when starting from cold for the first 10 miles or so and then it kicks in.  It's not loud, just annoying.  I cannot find anything that is loose or with unacceptable movement and the shock absorbers are working. The noise is noticeable over cobbled surfaces when travelling slowly. 

Could it be:

Something inside the shock that starts to occur when the shock warms up?

What about rubber creaking rubber bushes?  Is there any means of lubricating these such as spraying with silicon lubricant? 

I have also noticed that the problem is not apparent after driving in wet weather, which makes me think water is acting as a lubricant for the exposed bushes on the lower suspension.

Thanks for reading?

H

Is it a squeak or a groan? My lower control arms can made a groan when they went bad.  Try pushing down on the suspension on each corner and see if you can isolate the noise.    

Thanks for the replies.  I have done the following and the noises have disappeared.  I sprayed the metalastic bushes with silicon lubricant and also the bump stops at the top of the shock absorbers.  

I remember having a similar problem with these types of bushes on a car many years back and I used to treat them as every service with lubricant suitable for rubber.

As the noise was not present in wet weather I concluded that water was in some way acting as a lubricant.  I trawled for other postings and discovered that this is quite a common problem.  What foxed me was that all the joints were good and not showing any play.

H