Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cigarette Lighter R/R

mcdonnell

I just removed the lighter from it's spot and then inserted the non-smoking plug. You do not need to remove any of the electronics or take the dash out for that. It's just a plug that fills the void left by the lighter being gone. If you remove the assembly that the lighter rests in then the plug will not fit.

The unit I have (99665210300A01), allows you to use your OE maintainer. It's a plug with a image of a cigarette in a circle crossed out, no element. So I need to remove the trim plate and then the socket. How do I remove the full trim piece?

• 3 weeks later...
Maybe you could post a pic of what you have (dash location and plug insert) to better explain this.

Eric, the plug guy, told me how to remove the trim. You need to get behind the dash trim to remove the lighter unit and then install the delete socket. Thanks to Eric, Loren, and to the skeptic LVDell.

Jack

Easy there. Obviously your need to keep saying it over and over again as you feel necessary to continue to bolster your ignorance.

Asked you a simple question and once again you failed to read my post and answer accordingly when all I was doing is responding to your thread and offering help and insight form past experience.

From past experience I posted my thoughts since you asked. But you chose to NOT read and just freak out and be a jerk.

All I asked was from you was clarification as to why you needed to pull out the assembly since I have done this exact thing and didn't need to. Had you posted a pic or explained why you needed to then this would have all been avoided.

It's people like you on these boards that don't contibute a thing in the way of help to other members and instead come here and ask for help all the time giving nothing back and mooch off this great site Loren has put together without the courtesy of supporting the site either.

Do us all a favor and change your attitude and become a polite contributing member or don't come back at all. There is no place for that type of attitude here.

**off my soap box now**

• Moderators

Now, now boys.

I have the non smoker socket and plug that I have never put in my car. The plug fits the original socket that came with the car. I have a 1997 Boxster. I pulled the lighter out and suck the plug in for this picture. Someone said the plug would not fit the socket on the newer cars. This made no sense to me unless the size of the socket changed over the years. I then tried my plug on a newer 996 and it fit.

Now for the trivia. On the early Boxsters the non smoker kit (plug and storage tray) was a no cost option. Then Porsche did away with the option.

post-4-1114892892_thumb.jpg

post-4-1114892962_thumb.jpg

Great pics TP. Looks like it can be done either way. Empty socket housing and plug or just the plug in the existing lighter socket. When I ordered my non-smokers kit I got the rear center console cubby replacment for the ash tray and also the plug with the no smoking symbol that you just place in the socket.

If given the choice I would leave the original socket in place and just insert the plug (as I did) so there is still the functionality of a power source for use (radar, compressor, etc.).

I'll try to respond again. This socket will not fit any other socket. I'am told by Sunset Porsche, that it is the latest and last to be offered. In order to install it you must get behind the dash trim and change out the OE unit. The dash plug is too large to fit the OE socket. If it was a simple as some suggested, I can assure all I would not waste this forums valuable time for direction. I'll ask elsewhere next time. Jack

"I'll ask elsewhere next time"

Then let me be the first to say...... :clapping:

You still don't get how rude and unappreciative you are. Tried to give you the benefit of the doubt and even further explain what I did from past experience and ask you for FURTHER clarification (ie, pic) from you to understand why you couldn't do it the SAME way I have have (and countless others). All just to try and help out. You still dont' get it.

Best of luck to you.

• Admin

Ok guys - everyone is welcome here as long as they follow our simple rules/guidelines. Keep it friendly and keep it on topic and we can all live with differences of opinion.

Porsche has changed and/or deleted the no smoker kit at least a couple times. I tried the but the no smoker plug a few years ago and it did not fit in my stock socket. The dealer at that time said they could get the older non-smokers socket needed to fit the no smoker plug. At this point is is fairly easy to say that most dealers don't know the differences and likely are not sure what they have in stock. Sounds like a market opportunity for someone...

Keep it friendly and keep it on topic and we can all live with a differences of opinion.

Totally agree Loren. Just can't stand it when people ask for help/advice/clarification and then act like a jerk when they don't lilke the answer that is given.

It would have been very easy to respond with something like "you didn't have to replace the entire assembly?" and "do you have the part number for your plug" "that sounds much easier". Or "I prefer to replace the whole assembly with a dummy assembly not just the plug...do you have any advice how to remove it?"

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...