Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

MY04 Cayenne-S DME/ECU is bad

HI Everyone,

After through many diagnostic and research I found out the DME/ECU on my 04 Cayenne-S could be bad and caused PSM workshop failure frenquently specifically when the weather or car is HOT; guess the DME is getting hot as well.

Question:

1.If I getting an used DME; would it work directly or need to be coded? Or need to get a new one?

2.I have a Launch X431 there is a coding function for DME but I never done it and has no clue if is applicable. Anyone has experience with it? With Dealer they are talking about thousands dollars job for replacing a DME.

Great appreciated!

Paul

• Moderators

HI Everyone,

After through many diagnostic and research I found out the DME/ECU on my 04 Cayenne-S could be bad and caused PSM workshop failure frenquently specifically when the weather or car is HOT; guess the DME is getting hot as well.

Question:

1.If I getting an used DME; would it work directly or need to be coded? Or need to get a new one?

2.I have a Launch X431 there is a coding function for DME but I never done it and has no clue if is applicable. Anyone has experience with it? With Dealer they are talking about thousands dollars job for replacing a DME.

Great appreciated!

Paul

Any DME swap is going to require some recoding.

While I have very little direct experience with the Launch product line, I seriously doubt it will be able to recode your car and get everything to connect.  You need a PIWIS.

• Moderators

Last time I used the Launch coding a new Tiptronic module to my Cayenne-S; it did pretty good job; thought it could do for DME too.

Coding a module and coding the DME and alarm systems are two different things.  It may work, but I am not aware of it doing so.

I went through a very similar issue with the 2003 CTT and the DME. JFP is spot on with the need for Authentic Porsche PIWIS and software subscription. Coding a new or Used replacement is a very involved process.... Diy'ing this can be a nightmare - it was in my case.

• 11 months later...

I am in a similar situation and I am looking into options. Local indie is suggesting to replace the DME and just the DME part is costing me 1700$. WHat is the typical cost of replacing and coding the DME?

My issue is solved. I got an used DME from Ebay for U$200 and paid $200 for coding. The mechanic did the job he works in Porsche dealer so he really knows what he is doing and fix it wit with the PIWIS for coding the used DME to the car.

I am in a similar situation and I am looking into options. Local indie is suggesting to replace the DME and just the DME part is costing me 1700$. WHat is the typical cost of replacing and coding the DME?

My issue is solved. I got an used DME from Ebay for U$200 and paid $200 for coding. The mechanic did the job he works in Porsche dealer so he really knows what he is doing and fix it wit with the PIWIS for coding the used DME to the car.