Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 carrera vs turbo instrument clusters - interchangeable?

Hi guys,

I have just bought a 996 turbo with a dodgy set of clusters that don't read the oil level correctly. The previous owner has had this tracked down to the cluster so it's not the sensor on the engine itself. I want to replace the cluster but don't want my pants pulled down by Porsche so I'm on the hunt for a used set. Can anyone confirm that I must use clusters from a turbo and not use the carrera cluster (which are cheaper and more readily available!). I've read a few posts about this but nothing conclusive.

Thanks,

Matt

Hey Mat,

Loren is right, the clusters are substantially different BUT, it is highly unlikely to be a cluster problem. If the gauge is reading at all it is probably OK. I am not totally sure but I believe a wiring issue might look like a cluster problem. A new cluster is about 3 grand. You might be able to source one from a wreck but I would have another good look at it first. Try a local indie.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all.

I have an update. I went for a second opinion on the oil level reading problem I've been having. The new mechanic I used diagnosed it as being the sensor on the engine that needs replacing. I have the part on order and I'm currently waiting for it to come in and I will then get it fitted by the new mechanic. I then went back to the original mechanic that diagnosed the faulty cluster and explained this to them. They showed me a receipt from 2008 (!) stating that they'd already had the engine oil level sensor replaced and confirmed the fault was traced to the cluster. Since then the previous owner, who only did a few thousand miles per year, would take it back to the mechanic to get the oil level checked periodically using a 'special tool'.

Either;

A - The original mechanic is correct and it is the cluster (or wiring).

B - The sensor wasn't fitted properly by the original mechanic.

C - The original mechanic is if telling lies and it does actually need a sensor.

I can't really see why a cluster would fail though. The problem I have is the oil level reading either says it's totally full or empty. If it's a wiring issue, I hope it's traceable.

I'm going to get the new sensor fitted anyway as the new mechanic seemed sure it was this. The onus will be on the mechanic to trace the issue if the sensor doesn't work. If this draws a blank I'll get them to look at the wiring before buying a used set of clusters and getting them coded to the car. To make matters worse, the speedo is in Kmph not Mph. These are harder to find on ebay etc. so I may just go for a MPH set and use the digital speedo rather than the crapppy speedo gauge.

Onwards and upwards,

Matt