Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New to Renntech I have an audio question..

Hi,

I've been a member here for a few months reading and taking things in... It's  a great site.

My car is a 1998 996 with aero kit, very happy with it..

I plan to replace the Sony aftermarket radio, My preferred audio fitter/supplier want to look and see if the original amp has been removed.  I went looking for it and could not see it.  According to my brief search on google it should be near the front right wheel arch in the boot, is that correct?

I'm planning on fitting the Parrot Asteriod http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/asteroid-range/parrot-asteroid-smart/

The Parrot is a double Din unit so I'm going to have to move the climate control panel.  My guess is i just remove the empty holder below the cd holder and with the brackets from its current location it should transfer easily.  Or am I assuming its easier than it should be?

Thanks in advance for any pointers

Kind regards,

Dave

G'day Dave,

You are correct that the amp is in the frunk (front trunk). It's more behind the spare wheel. Basically when you open the lid and look straight into the trunk you should see a bracket in the centre behind the spare and the amp is mounted to this bracket.

Regarding installation istructions, there are many great writeups on this site along with topics on this exact subject and a search will yield you many results. You also have many options regarding installation kits that are readily available from eBay as well. Mine was purchased from Euromotorspeed (I think that is the name of the company) great instructions and very DIY friendly.

Good luck

Cheers

Hi,

I've been a member here for a few months reading and taking things in... It's  a great site.

My car is a 1998 996 with aero kit, very happy with it..

I plan to replace the Sony aftermarket radio, My preferred audio fitter/supplier want to look and see if the original amp has been removed.  I went looking for it and could not see it.  According to my brief search on google it should be near the front right wheel arch in the boot, is that correct?

I'm planning on fitting the Parrot Asteriod http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/asteroid-range/parrot-asteroid-smart/

The Parrot is a double Din unit so I'm going to have to move the climate control panel.  My guess is i just remove the empty holder below the cd holder and with the brackets from its current location it should transfer easily.  Or am I assuming its easier than it should be?

Thanks in advance for any pointers

Kind regards,

Dave

Dave,

If you move the climate control to the bottom DIN, all you will need is a special face or trim plate to finish it off.  The electrical connections for the climate controls are long enough  and may need to be re-routed to fit. 

Lower bezel part number is 996-552-339-00-01C less than $10.00 from Sunset Porsche.

bezel_zpsf931fe13.jpg

Edited by kbrandsma

Great.  Thank you for the advice, much appreciated.  I'll pull the wheel out and look behind to see whats been "done"..

HI,

kbrandsma, Thanks for the part number.  I did find one on ebay but at greater cost than the one you talk of.

P-Kay, Ive been looking at the instructions on here and elsewhere, I think my brain is overloaded and I guess if I just dive in it'll be ok (i'm a broadcasting engineer so confident with tools and a soldering iron)

Kind regards,

Dave

DaveN996,

What are your Option Codes?  Is M490 one of them? The reason I am asking is that you may not have an AMP.  The AMP is between the spare and the battery

Option Codes Location:

TrunkOptionCode_zpsb8d3acf7.png

TrunkOptionCodeM490_zps4299d3d8.png

AMP Location:

boxsterfronttrunck_zpse6f723ef.jpg

Edited by kbrandsma

I've just found the vin decoder.  I'll have a look tonight when i'm back home.

Hopefully there won't be an amp and installation should be simple.  I hope the Parrot is good.  I like the look of it and hope its going to fit in nicely

Thank you again

Dave

If you do have the AMP, it means you also have door speakers which is a good thing in that the wiring is already in place and upgrading the speakers is fairly straight forward.  You'll want to upgrade the dash speakers as well as the stock (paper coned) Nokias aren't very good.

996-552-339-00-01C is only £3.64+VAT from a UK Porsche Centre.

The plastic brackets for the aircon panel are only needed for the top position in the centre console.  If you move it to the bottom position it fits the aperture without brackets.

Edited by Richard Hamilton