Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I just traded up to a '09 C4S w/ CPO and the Satellite Radio Reception is HORRIBLE. (I have two MB e350's that have no problem with Sirius radio reception) Also, I have discussed this with my fellow PCA members and they do not have this issue. In addition, I took the C4S into the dealership and they said it was normal to cut out. Plus, I called XM and they said the reception should not be cutting out in my area.

Do you have any insight on this issue?

Hey Stea1th, I was just down in your neck of the woods. My Wife's parents live up a bit in Winston county. Nice to hear from a Porsche owner down there, I was beginning to think you all just drove pick ups! (in spite of Porsche's diving school being one click to the south.) 

Any way, Satellite radio is line of site and in some environments it can get really bad such as New York city where you have all these tall buildings around you blocking the view. A lot of your secondary roads down there are densely tree lined and may cause a problem. Having said that, your other cars worked well in the same environment. Essentially it works but the reception is bad. The first suspect would be the antenna or it's wiring. I'm not sure where it is on the car but in a lot of cars it is that little fin thing up on the roof. Maybe JFP knows. I have not seen it on my car which is now under cover for the Winter. Since your car is under warrantee, If you can't get your dealer to look into it go to another dealer and tell them how unhappy you are and that you will gladly switch to them if they can take care of the problem. You could buy and plug in a new antenna but that gets a bit complicated and why should you do that after you paid for certification. 

I agree with the antenna as the prime suspect.  I have a 2010 997 with XM radio and every since I have owned it (I bought it new) the XM reception was not as good as in our other cars.  I thought is was the shape of the car - it's a cab so the antenna is on the rear next to the spoiler.  Then I thought is was the radio receiver Porsche uses.  But we got a Cayenne and the XM reception was excellent.  Then one day as I was prepping the car for a drive, somehow I built up a static charge and accidentally touch the antenna.  Big shock and crackle and the XM would not work.  I took it to the dealer and they agreed the antenna was bad, fortunately still under warranty.  Upon replacement of the antenna my XM reception was very much improved, in fact, areas where it used to cut out the signal stays strong and is uninterrupted. 

Sorry for the long explanation, but I would replace the antenna.  It's a simple repair and the cover pops off so no need for a re-paint.  Good luck. 

Thanks stronbl for the information.

I did a PCA drive last Saturday thru the Cheaha State Park and could not listen to XM because it continued 

to cut out.

My car has been at Tom Williams Porsche for two days now...I get the feeling, that they'll do everything, to NOT do

anything to fix the problem!!