Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Indicators/signals not working

Hi All,

Although my car is a 996 turbo, I've posted in the 996 forum as I don't believe the issue is Turbo specific.

I’ve been having problems with the rear drivers’ side indicator not working. At first I thought it was a burnt out bulb. I removed the two rear light clusters and swapped the suspect bulb with the working one from the passenger side and it still didn’t. Whilst testing/experimenting with swapping bulbs etc I was using the hazard warning button on the dash to get the indicators to flash. I then went to put everything back as it was originally but noticed the little metal contact arm in the rear passenger bulb connector had partly snapped as I tried to put the bulb back in. I used some pliers to bend what was left of the arm into shape so that it now makes good contact with the base of the bulb. I then put everything back together and I’ve since noticed that now none of the indicators work at all. I’m getting nothing from using the stalks or the hazard button.  

I’ve done some research which points towards the relay and/or hazard switch, which is a right old pain because I’ll have t order these parts from Germany as my local dealer doesn’t stock them. Any other ideas I should look into whilst I’m waiting for the parts to arrive?

Incidentally, the car just came back from the shop where it has been living for the past 6 weeks whilst I’ve had some other work done which included removing the engine and speedo/instrument cluster from the dash.

Thanks in advance.

I had a similar issue with my 2005 996 C4S only with reverse lights. Kept blowing the fuse for that circuit. I would check the fuse that protects the turn signal circuits first. If blown, I would order replacement wiring harnesses for both rear tail lights. That cured my problems as I had found both reverse light sockets with the middle contact extension broken and tried to bend to work. All this did was allow the contact to touch the side of the bulb base creating a dead short and continued blowing the fuse. Should be a fuse location sheet inside of the fuse area cover. Hope this helps. I'm new at the world of Porsche, however, this appears to be a weak point for these cars based on our common issue!

Hi. Thanks for that.

I've just been to check over the car. First I found that the fuse had blown. I found a 7.5v fuse in there when the fuse diagram states it should have been a 15v fuse. I then checked the indicators again but still the rear drivers side does not work. I then looked at the relay. Although I didn't remove it I could hear it clicking and when I touched it you could feel it clicking. I also took out the hazard switch and cleaned it up but this hasn't made any difference either.

Wilbilly, are you saying the actual metal contacts in the bulb seating might be broken in some way. I know the contact arm in the passenger bulb seat had snapped but I hadn't noticed this with the drivers side.

I would take out the bulb and check it.  It's a single filament 21w. Clean up the contacts and put it back.  If that doesn't work disconnect the multi plug for the light cluster and spray in some contact cleaner on both parts.

If that doesn't work check for a signal 12v signal down the wire using a meter.

If that doesn't solve it start chasing the wire for a signal.

H

I would take out the bulb and check it.  It's a single filament 21w. Clean up the contacts and put it back.  If that doesn't work disconnect the multi plug for the light cluster and spray in some contact cleaner on both parts.

If that doesn't work check for a signal 12v signal down the wire using a meter.

If that doesn't solve it start chasing the wire for a signal.

H

Thanks,

I'll try this tomorrow. Could it still be a bad relay or hazard switch?

You didn't say what year your car is so looking at the Bentley book leaves me guessing somewhat. What I didn't explain very well above was my bulb sockets had approximately 1/4" of the center contacts broken off(kinda a "z" shaped end). The small pieces were loose in the socket. I removed them thinking that was the shorting problem and bent the center contacts up to make sure they contact the bulb base. Kept blowing fuse and found when the bulb was installed the contact touched the body of the bulb cause short to ground. New wiring harness with sockets fixed it. So on your car with the 15amp fuse it no longer blows but the drivers side does not function? If true I would concentrate on that side bulb/socket as Hilux2400 suggested. BTW if your car is year 1999-2000 the 7.5 amp fuse might have been correct as it would be for the radio in position B2 in fuse panel. Bentley book shows:

fuse B2: 7.5a 1999-2000 radio. 15a 2001-2005 hazard warning/turn signals

fuse D7: 15a 1999-2000 hazard warning/turn signals. 15a 2001-2005 spoiler

So depends on which year your car is as to which fuse protects the haz/turn signals. Of course this is for U.S. cars so hopefully the fuse box sheet is right for your car!?

You didn't say what year your car is so looking at the Bentley book leaves me guessing somewhat. What I didn't explain very well above was my bulb sockets had approximately 1/4" of the center contacts broken off(kinda a "z" shaped end). The small pieces were loose in the socket. I removed them thinking that was the shorting problem and bent the center contacts up to make sure they contact the bulb base. Kept blowing fuse and found when the bulb was installed the contact touched the body of the bulb cause short to ground. New wiring harness with sockets fixed it. So on your car with the 15amp fuse it no longer blows but the drivers side does not function? If true I would concentrate on that side bulb/socket as Hilux2400 suggested. BTW if your car is year 1999-2000 the 7.5 amp fuse might have been correct as it would be for the radio in position B2 in fuse panel. Bentley book shows:

fuse B2: 7.5a 1999-2000 radio. 15a 2001-2005 hazard warning/turn signals

fuse D7: 15a 1999-2000 hazard warning/turn signals. 15a 2001-2005 spoiler

So depends on which year your car is as to which fuse protects the haz/turn signals. Of course this is for U.S. cars so hopefully the fuse box sheet is right for your car!?

Hi, mine is a 2002 turbo. The fuse sheet says that it should be a 15a fuse but a 7.5a fuse was in there that was blown. Now replaced with a 15a fuse. I think when the passenger side connector contact arm snapped it probably would have caused the 7.5a fuse to blow. Now this issue is sorted I'm just left with the mystery of why the drivers side rear bulb isn't flashing. I'll check it with a multimeter later.

So, had another look at it today with my multimeter. Didn't get anywhere but then started having a good look through the engine bay to see if I could spot anything. Noticed an odd smell and then noticed some rodent droppings. I then noticed that as you peer into the engine bay on the right hand side, over towards the wheel arch behind the passenger light cluster, there were some exposed wires. Looking more closely these look to have been nibbled at and chewed through by some sort of rodent.

The car was at my garage for several weeks getting some other work done before I noticed the issue so I think I've found the cause. Deep joy. Probably requires a new lighting harness or a repair of some sort.

Going back to the garage for a repair. I'll keep you posted!

In one of my sheds we keep apples through the winter.  I keep two mouse traps in the shed baited with peanut butter and chocolate.  Since November 2014 I have caught 30 mice.  My all time record is 35.  I might beat it this year. Time for you to get a mouse trap, I think.

H

I have heard others on forums talk about rodent damage to wiring while stored. I had this problem with my Nissan 300x and read about putting moth balls in netting and placing under hood while sitting for extended periods. Seemed to work! Guess they don't like the smell. Good luck on correcting the bare wire issues. Would guess you probably have one "open" as well interrupting the feed to the drivers side.