Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

pcm1 8 bits -----> 16 bits

Yes that's right. Only the nav unit has to be replaced. With the 16bit nav unit you can update your software to version 5.43. With this version, you are able to use opel nav cds(in germany) and they are always updated. Newest version ist 2005 for germany. Price is about 1000 EUR.

Yes that's right. Only the nav unit has to be replaced. With the 16bit nav unit you can update your software to version 5.43. With this version, you are able to use opel nav cds(in germany) and they are always updated. Newest version ist 2005 for germany. Price is about 1000 EUR.

THATS very interesting!!!! Then I can use opel cd navs, updated??? how I can get that opel cd navs???.

Regards.

I don't know for which country you need nav cds. But for germany you buy the opel navteq cd, that is used in tehe Opel Zafira or Vectra. The system is also made by Siemens. It's called NCDR 1100/1500/2013/2015.

The Opel CD only works if you have the newest porsche software installed in your PCM. Press the AC button on the PCM and then hold the right button for about 3 sec. The display shows the version. In germany Porsche sells the PCM 16bit update for 1500 EUR together with a software pack incuding 8 CDS for Europe, they are from 2002. You have to put all of these in your new Nav computer to get the complete update. After updating, the software should be version 5.43. Then just insert the Opel CD for your country dated 2005 and you have the newest road database, but without the Porsche service centers. Instead the Opel service centers are displayed.

I have checked it out with the Opel CD for germany dated 2004 and it works. The only problem I see with this update is the high price, especially for the software. The software alone costs 400 EUR and you need it just once(to update the system). If you have additional questions I will try to help.

I don't know for which country you need nav cds. But for germany you buy the opel navteq cd, that is used in tehe Opel Zafira or Vectra. The system is also made by Siemens. It's called NCDR 1100/1500/2013/2015.

The Opel CD only works if you have the newest porsche software installed in your PCM. Press the AC button on the PCM and then hold the right button for about 3 sec. The display shows the version. In germany Porsche sells the PCM 16bit update for 1500 EUR together with a software pack incuding 8 CDS for Europe, they are from 2002. You have to put all of these in your new Nav computer to get the complete update. After updating, the software should be version 5.43. Then just insert the Opel CD for your country dated 2005 and you have the newest road database, but without the Porsche service centers. Instead the Opel service centers are displayed.

I have checked it out with the Opel CD for germany dated 2004 and it works. The only problem I see with this update is the high price, especially for the software. The software alone costs 400 EUR and you need it just once(to update the system). If you have additional questions I will try to help.

there is a thing I dont understand, Pcm1 16 bits is sold in Spain with 8 disks 2004 , not 2002, and you say introducing 2002 disks is necessary to update?

I guess Porsche updates software with proper disks and they give updated disks 2004.

Edited by valcax

I don't know how Porsche handles it in Spain. But in Germany there was the problem, that Porsche did not update the PCM1 cds. The latest were from 2002 and needed the 16bit computer. They only offered cds for the PCM2 with a updated database. That's why people found out that Opel cds work as well in the PCM1. I don't know about a cd for germany sold by Porsche with 2004 database.

But when Porsche sells the 16bit update in Spain with 2004 database cds, then you would not need to buy Opel cds, that would solve the problem with the newest porsche cds not beeing available.

Beside that, I think that the 2004 cds update the system in the same way the 2002 do, perhaps the software version is even newer.

I don't know how Porsche handles it in Spain. But in Germany there was the problem, that Porsche did not update the PCM1 cds. The latest were from 2002 and needed the 16bit computer. They only offered cds for the PCM2 with a updated database. That's why people found out that Opel cds work as well in the PCM1. I don't know about a cd for germany sold by Porsche with 2004 database.

But when Porsche sells the 16bit update in Spain with 2004 database cds, then you would not need to buy Opel cds, that would solve the problem with the newest porsche cds not beeing available.

Beside that, I think that the 2004 cds update the system in the same way the 2002 do, perhaps the software version is even newer.

I CAN assure you pcm1 16 bits 2004 cds exists as Porsche tequipment.

look here

http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...ssPageName=WD2V

Then opel cd navs dont work in pcm1 8 bits? necessary 16 bits?

Regards.

Looks like you are right. They seem to be from 2004. I have to ask my dealer for details.

The Opel CD work on 8bit and 16bit, but it's depending on the year of the cd. Opel Cds dated till 2001 can be used in the 8bit computer, from then on Opel(siemens) changed their nav computers(as Porsche did) to 16bit, and the following cds work only on 16bit computers.

But when there are 2004 cds from Porsche, I see no need to buy Opel Cds, O.K. they are a little bit cheaper.

As I mentioned above, I have to ask my dealer if he sells 2004 nav cds for germany. The lates info from Porsche was that the PCM1 is no longer supported with new cds, latest pack 2002. Perhaps something changed. Or the cds in the auction are labeled 2004 and contain data from 2002, no one knows untill you put the cd in the nav and see the database.

Edited by turro

Looks like you are right. They seem to be from 2004. I have to ask my dealer for details.

The Opel CD work on 8bit and 16bit, but it's depending on the year of the cd. Opel Cds dated till 2001 can be used in the 8bit computer, from then on Opel(siemens) changed their nav computers(as Porsche did) to 16bit, and the following cds work only on 16bit computers.

But when there are 2004 cds from Porsche, I see no need to buy Opel Cds, O.K. they are a little bit cheaper.

As I mentioned above, I have to ask my dealer if he sells 2004 nav cds for germany. The lates info from Porsche was that the PCM1 is no longer supported with new cds, latest pack 2002. Perhaps something changed. Or the cds in the auction are labeled 2004 and contain data from 2002, no one knows untill you put the cd in the nav and see the database.

Can I get pcm1 16bits cd reader buying? part number?

I am thinking installing myself..... is very difficult?

Note: until 2002 pcm1 disks are supported by navtech, 2004 disks are supported only by Porsche (porsche tequipment)

Regards.

Yes you can buy it at your Porsche dealer. The part number is 996.642.122.03.

There should be no problem changing the nav computer. You just need a tool to get it out. It is a Blaupunkt tool, also used to remove standard Blaupunkt radios. When you get it out pull out the plugs and insert them in the 16bit computer. That's all. You perhaps will have to reenter the code after switching on the navigation. The code is sold together wit the new 16bit computer.

Yes you can buy it at your Porsche dealer. The part number is 996.642.122.03.

There should be no problem changing the nav computer. You just need a tool to get it out. It is a Blaupunkt tool, also used to remove standard Blaupunkt radios. When you get it out pull out the plugs and insert them in the 16bit computer. That's all. You perhaps will have to reenter the code after switching on the navigation. The code is sold together wit the new 16bit computer.

any tutorial to change it ? which kind of tool is?

Regards.

Turro,

After reading your post regarding the software needed to read the Opal nav disks I checked my software version by the method you described and to my delight the PCM software read PCM/IDIS v5.43. I took the car to a local Vauxhall dealership (same as Opal in the UK) to see if they would loan a disk to check if it would work.

It never unfortunately, althought the only disk they had that I could use to try it out was a 2004 version for the UK. any thoughts?

Ron

Ronbonner,

that problem was described by other porsche users in my community. When not all 8 cds of the package, sold with the 16bit computer, are used to update the navi, the opel cds won't work. There is a file on one of the cds(I don't remember which) that is necessary to get the opel cds work.

Are you sure that you have a 16bit nav computer? When your car was delivered after, I think May 2001, you should have one.

The 2004 version should work when it is for the opel systems I mentioned above.

valcax,

on the left and right side of the 8bit computer in your car, there are two plastic caps. You have to remove them. It should go with your fingernails. Behind the caps there are two holes on each side of the computer. The tool has to be pushed inside the two holes. The tools look like the letter C, it unlocks the computer so that you can pull it out.

I will make a picture of the tool and the nav computer with the caps removed.

valcax,

on the left and right side of the 8bit computer in your car, there are two plastic caps. You have to remove them. It should go with your fingernails. Behind the caps there are two holes on each side of the computer. The tool has to be pushed inside the two holes. The tools look like the letter C, it unlocks the computer so that you can pull it out.

I will make a picture of the tool and the nav computer with the caps removed.

thanks! I am waiting.....

Ronbonner,

that problem was described by other porsche users in my community. When not all 8 cds of the package, sold with the 16bit computer, are used to update the navi, the opel cds won't work. There is a file on one of the cds(I don't remember which) that is necessary to get the opel cds work.

Are you sure that you have a 16bit nav computer? When your car was delivered after, I think May 2001, you should have one.

The 2004 version should work when it is for the opel systems I mentioned above.

In all probability I have the 8 bit model as the car is a MY2000. I was led by your reference to the Software version 5.43 which is displayed on the screen.

Thanks

Ron

Ronbonner,

a PCM can not be updated to software 5.43 using the 8bit nav computer. You have to have the 16bit.

So it's possible that the nav display was changed on warranty after may 2001 and the new one got version 5.43. Or, when you are not the first owner of the car, the previous owner changed to 16bit, updated the system, but took the 16bit out before the sale.

But as I mentioned before, it is not possible to use opel cds dated 2002 or newer without the 16bit nav computer.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

when replacing pcm navi unit, display ask for CODE NAVI, Should I introduce the same I have in my old unit? or there is to introduce a new code which is sold with navi unit?

In case not have this new code... can I call a Porsche Center?

Best regards!

• 7 years later...

My experience with all the GPS map software and data used on cars is that it is always inferior to stand alone units that cost a tenth of what the fancy OEM units go for. Plus many stand alones come with lifetime free maps. A stand alone costs what one map update does for the Toyota I now have. And gives superior performance in terms of driving instructions in a timely manner and knows more roads even though the OEM unit is in theory newer.

• 5 months later...