Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Gateway: C112 error Display CAN / please advise

• Moderators

Could you tell me please where I can find more info about this error. Thanks.

Gateway: C112 error Display CAN

C112 is a communications error on the CAN bus network.  I would clear it and see if it returns.

I did it a couple of times. It returns immediately.

I took the instruments panel fuse out for 10-15s. Didn't help.

It doesn't trigger any serious warnings or other P errors.

I've looked all over google for more info about this error.

Edited by d0lph1n

• Moderators

I did it a couple of times. It returns immediately.

I took the instruments panel fuse out for 10-15s. Didn't help

It would sound like your have a problem with one of the multiple modules on the CAN system that is not communicating.  It would be something as banal as a loose connector, or it could be a module itself.

• Moderators

Any idea where to start looking for a loose connector?

is it possible a weak battery could trigger this code?

A weak battery can play havoc with the CAN Bus network, so if you suspect yours, start there.  If possible, load test the battery and replace it if it fails the test.

The CAN bus has several modules that are in different places around the car, so checking connector is going to be time consuming.  The entire network can be tested by the PIWIS system.

Thank you Hartdude. The PIWIS explanation is scary. Can the code popup without generating other codes....or it's just an access error of the obd2 device?

Edited by d0lph1n

• Moderators

Thank you Hartdude. The PIWIS explanation is scary. Can the code popup without generating other codes....or it's just an access error of the obd2 device?

If the code is real, basically all of the CAN Bus modules are off line.  What type of diagnostic tool did you use to obtain it?  What may be necessary is to reset all of the modules, which will require the use of a PIWIS system.

I had access to an older version of Durametric...I think it was v3.

So far, the battery is fine. It charges properly.

In the Advanced Electrical System pdf , the CAN display is connected to:

26 - Instrument cluster

27 - Analog clock (Sport Chrono)
28 - PCM 2.1
29 - Gateway, PCM
30 - MOST bus
31 - Amplifier
32 - Telephone module
33 - CD autochanger
34 - Navigation module 

Interesting enough, I remember having the following issues:

- every time I tried to power the air compressor from the 12V plug between chairs, it burned the fuse,

- 2-3 times in aprox 1.5 years since I got the car, the radio/nav powered up..but no sound.

Edited by d0lph1n

• Moderators

If possible, I would recheck the car with a more current version of the system,  Reason I say that is there was a rash of Chinese clones of the Durametric system, all of which were old versions (current is 6.5.0.7), and many of which were questionable to the point of actually damaging some cars.  So unless you know the provenance of the system you used, I would recheck it just to be safe, and because if the code is real and live, the next moves will be more complicated and possibly expensive.

No aftermarket audio. I don't have any problem that i'm aware of. I had an ignition coil short few weeks ago and a drained battery. But all the ignition coils, plugs and 3 ignition coil connectors have been replaced. The battery is fully charged.

Any after market audio component? Are you having a problem with the vehicle or just this code showing up with durametric?

Edited by d0lph1n

I hope you are right. I need to buy or borrow a durametric asap.

If possible, I would recheck the car with a more current version of the system,  Reason I say that is there was a rash of Chinese clones of the Durametric system, all of which were old versions (current is 6.5.0.7), and many of which were questionable to the point of actually damaging some cars.  So unless you know the provenance of the system you used, I would recheck it just to be safe, and because if the code is real and live, the next moves will be more complicated and possibly expensive.
Edited by d0lph1n

wvicary, believe it or not aftermarket head units properly installed will not disrupt the CAN system. The cluster communicates with the PCM only for trip computer functions. The PCM just does not get the signal because it is not there which, fortunately the cluster and the rest of the can system do not notice. I have an Alpine NAV in my car which is working fabulously. The problem is the MOST system which dishes out the audio in digital signals over fiberoptic cables. After market head units talk in analog only. Fortunately, there is a company in FL, NAVTV that makes an AD conversion module which plugs directly into the MOST system turning your analog output back into digital. Works great. 

wvicary, believe it or not aftermarket head units properly installed will not disrupt the CAN system. The cluster communicates with the PCM only for trip computer functions. The PCM just does not get the signal because it is not there which, fortunately the cluster and the rest of the can system do not notice. I have an Alpine NAV in my car which is working fabulously. The problem is the MOST system which dishes out the audio in digital signals over fiberoptic cables. After market head units talk in analog only. Fortunately, there is a company in FL, NAVTV that makes an AD conversion module which plugs directly into the MOST system turning your analog output back into digital. Works great. 

Properly installed is the key. I've had many times an after market audio unit wired in improperly and stopped communications with a scan tool and have read of cases were it has damaged the scan tool. Some OBD cable are even fused to protect the scan tool.