Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hard to start. Insight needed.

I've hit a slight hiccup on the removal of the y-cable.

Do any of you know how to remove the throttle cable from the throttle body? I have the lug end of the cable released from the barrel, but the cable is inserted into the throttle body with a black plastic clip. I can't figure out how to undo that in order to remove the throttle body completely from the engine.

Thanks!

Yes, I read that's possible on a MkI. So did the cable fix your voltage/start problems?

Yessir it did! Car shows over 14 volts with no load and even with a heavy load the volts don't go below 13 now. After a drive, I shut down the car and restarted her. The cranking amps seem to be restored, probably due to the battery getting a heathy charge now.

Thanks for all of your help!

Here's what the old cable looked like.

Yikes! Glad you got it sorted.

I start to think we should make this cable replacement mandatory for anyone having any starting and/or charging issues. Gonna save a lot of troubleshooting time :)

• Upvote 1

Well I could never figure it out but I ended up doing this fix without needing to remove the throttle body, intake plenum, and A/C compressor. Saved me a lot of steps and hard work!

Isla;

I have got to tackle this same task on my Mk1 (C2 2000).

Would you mind being a bit more explicit about your statement above; ie, how did you manage to thread the cable on the A/C Compressor side?

What minimum # of accessory items did you remove in order to get the job done? Thanks!

Martin

Try this trick. It will save you some labor. http://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/870715-alternator-starter-cable-replacement-simplified.html

Basically use hot water to soften the plastic box attached to one end of the cable and remove the box. That will allow the cable to be fished through without moving the a/c compressor and twisting the steering pump reservoir.

Edited by Ahsai

Isla;

I have got to tackle this same task on my Mk1 (C2 2000).

Would you mind being a bit more explicit about your statement above; ie, how did you manage to thread the cable on the A/C Compressor side?

What minimum # of accessory items did you remove in order to get the job done? Thanks!

Martin

Follow Ahsai's link.

I had to remove the airbox, serpentine belt, and alternator. Removing the throttle body would have given a little better of a sight line to the cable end on the starter, but it wasnt absolutely necessary in my case.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what the old cable looked like.

What do you think did that to your cable? 'farmer boy' indicated that he had a defective starter that he replaced and looking at the photo of the terminal you posted, looks to be the end at the starter. Do you think your starter has a short that caused that? Corrosion? Engine Temperature?

I wish I knew. From all the pics I've seen, the corrosion on mine looks consistent with most of the other failed cables out there. It's likely a heat/crappy cable quality issue.

Wow!

As an aside, I read that a faulty starting circuit or starter motor can even cause a host of CEL issues as well (P0341)...the corrosion on that cable would explain alot...

Hope it does not happen again for you!

I still don't understand how it can corrode so badly as if it was attacked by salt water or something acidic. The lug locates in mid-air right above the engine case. I wonder if there's any corrosive vapor in that area but I can't think of any such source.