Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

California smog and high ZPPD oil

I did a search for ZPPD and SMOG and expected to see a bunch of hits--nope.

I was planning on replacing the Syntec 5W-40 in my MY05 C2 with J Gibbs DT40 5W-40 this weekend. I am being told that high ZPPD oil (like DT40 which is "unapproved") will result in catalytic converter failure. I am also being told that DT40 has only slightly more zinc than Mobil1.

Anyone have actual experience with CA smog and high ZPPD oil?

• Moderators

I did a search for ZPPD and SMOG and expected to see a bunch of hits--nope.

I was planning on replacing the Syntec 5W-40 in my MY05 C2 with J Gibbs DT40 5W-40 this weekend. I am being told that high ZPPD oil (like DT40 which is "unapproved") will result in catalytic converter failure. I am also being told that DT40 has only slightly more zinc than Mobil1.

Anyone have actual experience with CA smog and high ZPPD oil?

First of all, yes, ZDDP will shorten the life of the cats, but the larger argument is by how much.  Because the EPA has the OEM's on the hook to replace the converters under warranty for up to 8 years or 80K miles, they lobbied the EPA to force lowering the ZDDP levels in an attempt to help them get off that hook.  Unfortunately, ZDDP is the best anti wear additive available for engine oils, which means that low ZDDP oils allow engine wear that ZDDP would have prevented.  Best part of this argument is that without very sophisticated laboratory analysis, it is not possible to tell if ZDDP or crap gas additives were the cause of cat failure.

While nearly no one reveals that actual ZDDP levels in oils these days, UOA's have shown that DT40 after more than 7K miles still has more ZDDP remaining than M1 has fresh out of the bottle.

Perhaps a better way to look at the argument is that you as the car's owner need to make a choice between replacing the cats, which only requires some hand tools, or potentially having to rebuild or replace your engine, which is both more expensive than the cats and requires a lot more tooling.  I know where I and my customer's fall on that call. 

You also need to note that if your cats do actually go bad, the car will code and tell you long before you go anywhere near CA Smog.

• Upvote 1