Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Is there a source for green Porsche antifreeze?

My 2005 997 has green coolant. I need to top off the reservoir but can only find red Porsche concentrate antifreeze. I would prefer to avoid the whole "color mixing" issue. Do I have any choice but to replace all the coolant with the new red antifreeze?

• Moderators

My 2005 997 has green coolant. I need to top off the reservoir but can only find red Porsche concentrate antifreeze. I would prefer to avoid the whole "color mixing" issue. Do I have any choice but to replace all the coolant with the new red antifreeze?

The green has not been made for several years. The pink version is fully compatible however.

I would also recommend that because your coolant is now pretty old, it is a good time for a complete flush and replacement.

• Moderators

Switch to Evans Waterless coolant I did that last year after researching the Hell out of it.......Jay Leno swears by it and my engine temps have have actually dropped! With a boiling point of 375 degrees at zero PSI and lifetime use!

Welcome to RennTech :welcome:

This product has never made any sense to me.  In order to use it, you have to drain the existing coolant, then run multiple flushes with a special liquid designed to remove all traces of remaining water based  coolant, followed by blowing air through the system to fully dry it.  Then you charge the system with some very expensive (~$45/gallon) waterless coolant.  By the time you are done with all this, between shop labor and parts you have spent nearly as much as several normal coolant drains, flushes and refills; which probably more than the car would normally see in its lifetime.  Add to that, on fully aftermarket instrumented cars, we have seen very little, if any, cooling improvements.  This product continues to look more like a solution in search of a problem.

In the shop, the most common coolant related question we get is "What can I top my system up with?".  This is because of the Porsche's propensity to leak coolant due to failing water pumps, surge tank. issues, bad caps, etc.   These problems do not go away with waterless coolant, so every time you need to open up the system to fix it, you have to drain and catch the magic coolant, and then filter it before refilling the system, or you spend even more money on additional waterless coolant.  Seems like a lot of excessive effort and costs with no discernible benefit.

Agree to disagree I blew a main coolant line the first two weeks I owned the car (previous owner barely drove it) car sat for 5yrs and he only put 1k on it in that time! So after JB welding the main coolant line back in which took me 2hrs. I began researching the cost to have all the lines TAC welded or tap and screwed bcs Porsche is notorious for coolant line leaks due to over pressure in the system. That was going to cost a grand total of $4-5k to have Porsche drop the engine and do the work and in the end they still couldn't guarantee that would solve the issue! So I found Evans Waterless coolant contacted a distributor in Montreal who were very helpful and stated I didn't need to use the pre flush all I had to do was get most of the water out of the system and was aloud 3% water left! If I was worried I didn't get it all out run the Evans Coolant through the system drain it let it sit in open container over night to allow the water to evaporate then refill the system! I agree it does take time to disconnect every coolant line and drain the car I raised the front and rear of my car a few times to make sure I drained it out! Since I have swapped out the coolant I haven't had a single leak of smell of coolant and I track my car a lot! I've tested the zero PSI after a 30min run at high speeds in 38+degree weather I opened the engine cover and removed the coolant cap while car was still running....the pressure in the system was that of a pop can! So if u haven't ever used Evans coolant it's kinda hard to slag the product I swear by it and run it in my 2001 Cherokee XJ rock crawler as well which is another veh known for poor cooling issues! It used to over heat w stock rad and the smell of coolant was a normal occurrence....now issue is gone and no more smell or bubbling radiator noises..

Say what U want I was only making a suggestion if your going to complain about something have a solution....I've found a solution that's been working for over 2yrs! MTC:)

• Moderators

Agree to disagree I blew a main coolant line the first two weeks I owned the car (previous owner barely drove it) car sat for 5yrs and he only put 1k on it in that time! So after JB welding the main coolant line back in which took me 2hrs. I began researching the cost to have all the lines TAC welded or tap and screwed bcs Porsche is notorious for coolant line leaks due to over pressure in the system. That was going to cost a grand total of $4-5k to have Porsche drop the engine and do the work and in the end they still couldn't guarantee that would solve the issue! So I found Evans Waterless coolant contacted a distributor in Montreal who were very helpful and stated I didn't need to use the pre flush all I had to do was get most of the water out of the system and was aloud 3% water left! If I was worried I didn't get it all out run the Evans Coolant through the system drain it let it sit in open container over night to allow the water to evaporate then refill the system! I agree it does take time to disconnect every coolant line and drain the car I raised the front and rear of my car a few times to make sure I drained it out! Since I have swapped out the coolant I haven't had a single leak of smell of coolant and I track my car a lot! I've tested the zero PSI after a 30min run at high speeds in 38+degree weather I opened the engine cover and removed the coolant cap while car was still running....the pressure in the system was that of a pop can! So if u haven't ever used Evans coolant it's kinda hard to slag the product I swear by it and run it in my 2001 Cherokee XJ rock crawler as well which is another veh known for poor cooling issues! It used to over heat w stock rad and the smell of coolant was a normal occurrence....now issue is gone and no more smell or bubbling radiator noises..

Say what U want I was only making a suggestion if your going to complain about something have a solution....I've found a solution that's been working for over 2yrs! MTC:)

You must have an interesting way of draining the car as most can only get about 85% of the contents out without considerable effort.  And as the Evans literature say that residual water will break down their coolant, that presents an issue.

As you sound like yours is a turbo car, I can say that I cringe at the use of more glue to repair a well known issue of glued in fitting failures on these cars.  We pull the engines and replace all of the factory fittings with new weld in replacements, which are permanent fixes.  Some shops also have used pinning kits the mechanically lock in the fittings, by we prefer to make them permanent.  Gluing them back in and using a wonder coolant is not the accepted answer, particularly when most tracks here will not allow one of these cars out on track unless the fittings have been either pinned or welded; and many also now do not allow cars on the track that have anything but water in them for safety reasons.

80-pipe_fix_2_3a78d2ae78509ef7c9eaa803f8

I for one, looked at the Evans products and decided to replace the coolant with genuine Porsche antifreeze and distilled water. The Evans product appeared just too much hassle and was going to cost me over £1000 GBP which I decided was not viable, especially if I need to drop the coolant to replace a water pump or something else. Porsche antifreeze (enough for nearly 2 changes £160 and distilled water 50 litres for £25) seemed the best way to go. The only thing I did do was to go low temperature thermostat and add the third radiator too. (6 speed manual so one not fitted as stock)