Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Wheel trim cap issue

I recently lost one of the unpainted metal wheel caps with the recessed Porsche crest on my MY98 986. I called the dealer for a replacement, and was told it was $19.85. I ordered it, but the part that came in was plastic. It is concave, and has the recessed Porsche crest with black paint on the appropriate places. Really looks like a piece of crap.

I told the dealer it didn't match the other three that I have. He did some research, and told me that this part supersedes the old part, which is no longer available. If this is true, I have three choices:

1. Pay $80 to downgrade all four wheels to a plastic part that looks like crap

2. Live with a missing wheel cap

3. Hunt for a used one

Does the story I'm getting from the dealer make sense? Sounds kind of bogus to me. The part #s he gave me are:

Original part: 993.361.303.05.61M

New part: 993.361.303.11.9A1

If these really are my choices, does anyone have one of the old ones lying around for sale? Maybe someone who upgraded to the painted wheel caps?

Thanks.

- Pete

Did you order based on the part number on the back of the cap?  Do you have a pic of the cap you are talking about?

There was no part number on the back of the part - This struck me as odd, because even the little plastic cap that covers the nut on the windshield wiper has a part number on it. Below is a picture of the cap.

post-2960-1114197958_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

- Pete

That's odd. I haven't seen those before. Seen several variations of it though. No part number on any of the caps? If you (or the original owner) ordered new with the car uponm delivery then it would be listed on the options sticker. Do you have any of that info?

What about these?

Thanks guys - you've given me quite a few options (not to mention to websites I didn't know about that I can rummage around on for all kinds of cool things).

Dell -

The one in your photo looks pretty darn close to what I have - my photo was taken with my cell phone, so it isn't as clear as it might be. I went back out and pulled off all three remaining caps, and while none of them have a part number, one of them has a paper sticker in it that says 'Made in Italy', so I'm guessing they're aftermarket. Unfortunately, I don't have the original sticker, so I can't see if they came with the car.

Is the one in your photo in service, or is it only available photographically? :D

I noticed on one of the sites that most of the caps are 60mm, but some are 70mm. Is 60mm the size for standard wheels? Mine are 17 inch twist pattern (I think that's what it is called) if that makes a difference.

Again, thanks for the help.

- Pete