Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Window regulator & widow gasket insight & questions.

Hey everyone,

Need help on window regulator and window gasket issues.

I've currently replaced the regularor in my 996 (MY 99) 3 times...WTF!!!  (1st) plastic compression fitting near the motor failed. (2nd) The regulator cable got frayed. (3rd) Regulator cable jumped off one of the roller wheels. I believe that the issue is my outer window gasket getting pulled inward as I roll the window down causing certain items on the regulator to fail.  BTW, it only happens when it's hot, I have no problems with the outer gasket when it's cold or at night.  Is there any fix for that other than replacing the entire gasket assembly?

Also, the two bottom nuts that adjust "rake" angle, what exactly do they do?  I set them both inward & outward and didn't notice a difference with how the window sealed.  Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Ron

I would say you are missing something.  Are you sure the window glass is in the regulator brackets correctly?  It sounds like you have some binding of the window glass making it difficult for the regulator to move the window up/down.  I would check for the alignment of the window glass in both the regulator brackets and in the seal.  I would do so with the door panel removed to check everything and the movement.  It could be that the window frame gasket is weak and rolls inward when hot. You could try some window lubricant to see if it helps.  Even RainX would be worth a try.  It is an expensive part to replace.  Don't forget to plug in the airbag prior to checking the window movement otherwise you will have to reset the airbag light.  I have heard there is significant difference in quality of window regulators.  Recommend a Porsche window regulator not some cheap EBay off brand.  Also, when I replaced mine the "rake" of the adjustment brackets on the bottom of the regulator created significant movement of the top of the window glass and how it sealed against the top window frame seal.  Almost 1/2" difference between the window glass and door seal.  Leads me to think somehow something is not right with the entire assembly. 

I've replaced the regulator with a genuine Porsche unit just to make sure I have a quality product installed.  Everything seems to be lined up and moves freely in both the top seals and window guides.  I've also set the "rake" back to where the original settings were and will adjust from there.  Problem only seems to happen when it's hot outside.  At night or when it's cold works with out any problems.  I've tried to polish/wax the window but didn't see any difference.  I'll give RainX a try, hopefully what will help.  Anything beats replacing the gasket.  Thanks for the advice!