Jump to content

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

  • View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

  • No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Exporting my 996 C4S to the US

Recommended Posts

Hello Everyone, 


I'd like to ask if anyone has imported a porsche from outside the US into florida?


I'm moving to the USA in October and considering shipping my 2003 996 C4S GCC Spec (gulf cooperation council). the car is bone stock except for the fabspeed muffler bypass pipes (still have original exhaust).


will the car pass emission / registration tests in florida? is there anything i should be aware off or it's simply handling the shipping documents and then registering the car?


Any help is appreciated.


Many thanks! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's done all the time. There are very specific steps you'll need to take . If memory serves, you'll need to contact FL DMV and declare your intention. But you also have to apply to DOT and more important COB ( customs ). The Florida DMV website should be a good starting point.

I presume you have a clean title , a current registration . I have no idea if your country of origin has exit requirements.

Good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been looking into this as well. I have a GCC 1998 C2 that I would like to bring back with me (I am a US citizen). It doesn't look easy at all. I saw this info on the Federal website: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/ and I am hoping to get mine in under the 25 year old exemption. Saw the same information on the customs website: http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car. It looks like conforming a car will be pretty extensive as all the glass, lights fuel cell will have to be DOT certified As well as seat belts and any other safety equipment. Just a sec and I will post what needs to be replaced your car to make it conform.


while no official, i found this site summed it up pretty well: http://jalopnik.com/here-are-the-four-legal-ways-to-import-a-car-to-the-uni-1682067632

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.