Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2001 996 Cabrio Top Not Retracting

Hello all,

Hoping to find some help on this issue.  I've done a bit of research on the subject and so far no resolution.

My 2001 996 Cabriolet top is not retracting into a open position.  I guess if its stuck, better in the closed position for now :thumbup:

I have tried the recommended "easy" fixes to see if I can resolve and none worked.  Tried resetting hand brake, open and closed rear deck lid .... no success.

When trying to operated the roof switch, I hear a couple of clicks in the back engine bay area and the red light for the top on the dashboard blinks...

Any suggestions?

Hello... To follow up on your follow up

kbransma -

Q:Does the light on the dash come on when the emergency brake is set?

A: YES, it flashes

roadrunner68 - 

Q:Its probabbly a snapped cable, happened twice on my Boxster.

A:  Hmmm, did you have the exact symptoms?  Where do I check the cable?

jjb7

Q: check all the microswitches. Most likely the left or right flaps. there is a lid "locked" microswitch.

A:  I have heard about the microswitch issue.. Where do I find them and what am I looking for?

I would obviously like to fix on my own, not sure what parts and work is entailed compared to just getting if fix by dealership

FYI also wanted to add that this issue happened a day or so after washing the vehicle.  Not sure if water had any affect but wanted to 

relay this as a coincidence?

Edited by srfrdrew

In regards to the parking brake dash light....

IF the light is ON on the dash (when the parking brake is pulled up/engaged), "most likely" the switch is "OK".....but it may still be a problem when you activate the convertible top.

IF the light is OFF on the dash (when the parking brake is pulled up/engaged), most likely that is the problem.

The diagram attached is for a 1999 996 convertible.

post-65806-0-69081000-1457368449_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

So just an update, sorry for the delay on response....

(hey dgjks6, nice to hear from you hope all is well!)

It just so happens a day or so after my last post, the top is now retracting and closing normally.

My only thought is that after washing, there may have been some water infiltration into the rear engine/top housing/assembly affecting the the electrical/operation of the top.

At this time, we are back in business but a bit perplexed.

Regards

Edited by srfrdrew

• 7 months later...

So I finally thing I have the answer to this issue.

there is a brake "switch" that is a known issue with this part that goes bad on these years 996's 

Its a $15.00 part but need to open up front and center console to get access to parking handbrake to replace this part.

Any DIY on how to properly remove center console to get at the switch?