Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How to remove pad damper weight from caliper piston

While servicing the front brakes on my '07 C4S one of the weights on only one of the  damper pads got stuck in the piston and broke away from the pad backing. What follows is the process I used to remove it with always enjoyed pictures. I posted this because I could not find anything similar anywhere else. Having used the "how to's..."  from this site and others many times I  just wanted to offer a little payback if I could.

post-9514-0-39665900-1458755493_thumb.jp

The  bad news, as shown in the above pic,  is the pad damper with the missing weight which was securely entombed in the piston. Damper weights are held in place on the damper pad itself by a screw which was still attached to the weight after I removed the damper itself  and easily removed ( in my case ) from the weight. Good news is that the threads in weight go all the way through to the back side of the weight. I suspect this is deliberate to allow for removal should they get stuck. had the corrosion extended to the screw soaking all in PB Blaster would have been my next step.

post-9514-0-65032100-1458756155_thumb.jp

Here's a pic of the screws I used to press the weight out of the piston. First screw was holding the weight to the damper, second and third were a 1-1/2 " cap screw and 1-3/4 " phillips head I had on hand. All screws have  the same thread dimensions to insure a secure fit and allow for a plan "B" approach in the event  plan "A" did not work.

post-9514-0-55786200-1458755612_thumb.jp

post-9514-0-96027600-1458757560_thumb.jp

First thing I did was soak the piston and weight in PB Blaster. To facilitate same I removed the caliper  to allow PBB to sock in better and more fully dissolve the corrosion keeping the weight from coming out.

After 3-4 hours of soaking I  inserted the shorter cap screw into the threaded hole in the center of the weight and screwed it in until I hit the bottom of the piston. ( Cap screws are preferable to phillips heads as they allow you to apply more direct torque to screw without stripping the head ) I proceeded gradually tightening the screw for a couple of 1/4 turns to determine if the PPB had had sufficient time to loosen the corrosions hold on the weight. Once I saw evidence of the movement in the weight I proceeded to run the cap screw all the way flush to the top of weight  and then replaced it with the longer screw visible in the picture to force the weight all the way out.

Note you do not need to remove the caliper to access the weight this way  if it just needs gentle coaxing. However, the  rotor would need to be removed in that case at which point it seems worthwhile to just remove the caliper.

post-9514-0-15318500-1458757255_thumb.jp

post-9514-0-61208200-1458757313_thumb.pn

And success.  Next step take some emery cloth to the inside bore of the all pistons to clean out the crud and eliminate a future recurrence of this time absorbing issue.

Edited by dphatch

• Moderators

While servicing the front brakes on my '07 C4S one of the weights on only one of the  damper pads got stuck in the piston and broke away from the pad backing. What follows is the process I used to remove it with always enjoyed pictures. I posted this because I could not find anything similar anywhere else. Having used the "how to's..."  from this site and others many times I  just wanted to offer a little payback if I could.

attachicon.gifporsche caliper work 133.jpg

The  bad news, as shown in the above pic,  is the pad damper with the missing weight which was securely entombed in the piston. Damper weights are held in place on the damper pad itself by a screw which was still attached to the weight after I removed the damper itself  and easily removed ( in my case ) from the weight. Good news is that the threads in weight go all the way through to the back side of the weight. I suspect this is deliberate to allow for removal should they get stuck. had the corrosion extended to the screw soaking all in PB Blaster would have been my next step.

attachicon.gifporsche caliper work 139.jpg

Here's a pic of the screws I used to press the weight out of the piston. First screw was holding the weight to the damper, second and third were a 1-1/2 " cap screw and 1-3/4 " phillips head I had on hand. All screws have  the same thread dimensions to insure a secure fit and allow for a plan "B" approach in the event  plan "A" did not work.

attachicon.gifporsche caliper work 135.jpg

attachicon.gifporsche caliper work 136.jpg

First thing I did was soak the piston and weight in PB Blaster. To facilitate same I removed the caliper  to allow PBB to sock in better and more fully dissolve the corrosion keeping the weight from coming out.

After 3-4 hours of soaking I  inserted the shorter cap screw into the threaded hole in the center of the weight and screwed it in until I hit the bottom of the piston. ( Cap screws are preferable to phillips heads as they allow you to apply more direct torque to screw without stripping the head ) I proceeded gradually tightening the screw for a couple of 1/4 turns to determine if the PPB had had sufficient time to loosen the corrosions hold on the weight. Once I saw evidence of the movement in the weight I proceeded to run the cap screw all the way flush to the top of weight  and then replaced it with the longer screw visible in the picture to force the weight all the way out.

Note you do not need to remove the caliper to access the weight this way  if it just needs gentle coaxing. However, the  rotor would need to be removed in that case at which point it seems worthwhile to just remove the caliper.

attachicon.gifporsche caliper work 137.jpg

attachicon.gifporsche caliper work 140.png

And success.  Next step take some emery cloth to the inside bore of the all pistons to clean out the crud and eliminate a future recurrence of this time absorbing issue.

Also add a dab of high temperature silicone based brake grease, or a little anti seize, inside the piston bore and in its face and it will never happen again.