Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

• Moderators

To fully test the system, you need access to:

• The terminal lug on the back of the alternator where the primary wire attaches (for checking diode ripple).
  • The alternator primary wire itself (for an amp meter to clamp around and measure current draw).
If this is outside your level of comfort, I'd suggest taking it to a shop to have it tested.

Not so much the comfort level, but maybe Im not understanding the simplicity of access  :huh:

Can I get to the terminal and primary wire just by removing the tire and wheel well liner?  If not, and you have to go through the first parts of the alternator removal process, I dont see how you could do that, hook everything up, and still have the engine run.

Edit: Im sure your way is much more thorough and appropriate, so dont think this is a counter argument :cheers:   I just read the instructions that came with the load tester.  It says to just hook up to the battery terminals and when you rev to 12-1500rpm it will run a charging system draw to test the alternator.  

That method is a bit more basic and will show the voltage response, but not validate the diodes functions or provide an amperage output value.  For simplicity, try their methodology and see where you are before digging in further.

Will do.

The main thing r.e. comfort is that its a daily driver and I dont have a ****kicker 3rd car anymore, so anything that could take more than an afternoon needs to be a weekend plan.

I did drive all over today totaling about 100 miles with no funny business other than the air suspension not being able to drop at 80.  I didnt want to push my luck though so I left the A/C off even though it was hot today  :lol:

Edited by 5thlilpiggy

Did the alternator test, and it read at 13.9 with the Good light lit the whole time.

Swapped out the battery.  The old one was a 730CCA, so probably low end.

Went for a drive around the block and all was fine.  Got back to the garage and tried to lower the suspension...workshop failure.  

Re-started car, selected terrain level and it successfully went up and looked even.  Selected normal, and it successfully went down and looked even.  Selected low, and got workshop failure.  Seemed like there is a slight tilt to passenger side.

Restarted again, hit raise, and all hell broke loose.  RPMs hunting between 300 and 1200, CEL on.  Turned off and ran the codes.  Had DVE amplifier, a throttle code, and misfires on 4, 8 and random.  Also had DME com error in the transmission and steering angle sensor errors in a couple of other modules.  

Cleared them all, waited a few min and started again.  Had normal idle, so I went around the block and all was fine except now I couldnt raise suspension because it said the compressor was charging. The compressor was definitely on when I raised to terrain the first time, but didnt seem to be on when I got back this time.

Is my DME going out?

Edited by 5thlilpiggy

• Moderators

Did the alternator test, and it read at 13.9 with the Good light lit the whole time.

Swapped out the battery.  The old one was a 730CCA, so probably low end.

Went for a drive around the block and all was fine.  Got back to the garage and tried to lower the suspension...workshop failure.  

Re-started car, selected terrain level and it successfully went up and looked even.  Selected normal, and it successfully went down and looked even.  Selected low, and got workshop failure.  Seemed like there is a slight tilt to passenger side.

Restarted again, hit raise, and all hell broke loose.  RPMs hunting between 300 and 1200, CEL on.  Turned off and ran the codes.  Had DVE amplifier, a throttle code, and misfires on 4, 8 and random.  Also had DME com error in the transmission and steering angle sensor errors in a couple of other modules.  

Cleared them all, waited a few min and started again.  Had normal idle, so I went around the block and all was fine except now I couldnt raise suspension because it said the compressor was charging. The compressor was definitely on when I raised to terrain the first time, but didnt seem to be on when I got back this time.

Is my DME going out?

I don't think it is necessarily your DME, but several of those faults look to be communications issues on the CAN bus network.

I don't think it is necessarily your DME, but several of those faults look to be communications issues on the CAN bus network.

Could I have caused a canbus issue with my work in the serpentine and vacuum leak troubleshooting?

At any rate, that sounds like I would need a durametric or PIWIS to diagnose?

Went to work with no codes. Raised to terrain and lowered to normal with no issues. Did not try low yet.

Do you know why it can go down, but only to normal level?

Edited by 5thlilpiggy

• Moderators

A Porsche specific diagnostic tool is always the best approach as it can seen things a global OBD II system cannot.

I have not idea why the car's level control it not working properly, but it also may need recalibration.

• Upvote 1

Update:

Drove about 200 miles since the last post with no funny business out of the PSM or DME.  

Went over 80 today to give the air suspension a test (I had refrained all week cause I hate seeing the warning for half the drive) and it went to Low quickly with no trouble.

Big thanks to to JFP for all your help thus far.  If you want to PM me your paypal Id be happy to toss you some beer money.

Until next time...

• Moderators

Update:

Drove about 200 miles since the last post with no funny business out of the PSM or DME.  

Went over 80 today to give the air suspension a test (I had refrained all week cause I hate seeing the warning for half the drive) and it went to Low quickly with no trouble.

Big thanks to to JFP for all your help thus far.  If you want to PM me your paypal Id be happy to toss you some beer money.

Until next time...

Thanks for the offer, but it is completely unnecessary.  Glad you got it sorted.

• Moderators

Thanks for the offer, but it is completely unnecessary.

Thats cool, Ill make a site donation instead.

Glad you got it sorted.

Im not ready to go that far, but thanks for the optimism  :D

And thank you for your continued support of RennTech :thumbup: