Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Convertible Top Problem - Does Not Open

On my 2000 C4 Cab the top stopped opening yesterday. The clam shell opens and the latch at the top of the windshield opens and then it stops. You can hear some clicking. When I run my Durametric it shows a fault code, 5 - maximum time exceeded. If I clear this error it re-appears.

A little background on this. Yesterday morning I used the RemoteTop on the car to open the top and it opened about 6" then stopped. This had happened a couple of time recently. When I got in the car and used the dash switch the top opened all the way. We went to the farmers market and used the dash switch, with the one touch option using a SmartTop module and it closed fine. When we returned to the car and used the RemoteTop/Key to open the top only the clam shell raised the the windshield latch opened and nothing else. then tried the dash switch with the same result. Top closes all the way with the key or dash switch but does not open.

This car has a SmartTop that was installed 10+ years ago. Also a RemoteTop that was installed 6+ years ago, the original style without the separate power feed, which failed about 2 years ago and was repalced with the newer version that has the separate power feed. This worked well until a month or so ago when the top started opening almost all the way and would stop just short of closing the clam shell. I spoke to Mods4cars and they had me reset the timing by starting the opening procedure, pushing the windshield micro switch  withing 8 seconds of starting, and pushing it again one the top was down and before the windows raised. This seemed to fix the problem. Also the top was replaced 3 months ago but has worked fine up until now.

I tried to recalibrate the the top with the Durametric and nothing would happen, I had tried this in the past. I removed the RemoteTop and the problem still existed. Then I removed the SmartTop module and the problem still existed.

But here is something interesting, when the SmartTop module was removed the Durametric recalibration worked!! AT least it started, but stopped at the same point, Clam Shell Open and windshield patch open, then stops. Same error code shows up, max time exceeded. There are no error codes for bad micro switches.

I have check the oil level, it was slightly low, and refilled it. No leaks or anything else. Checked micro switches for the clam Shell, top mounted latch assembly, and windshield assembly and all seem to work, although I have not ohmed them.

It seems that once the clam shell is opened and the latch opens, there is come clicking but the pump doe not start and the top does not move.

Looking for suggestions on what to look for. I know this is a little long but I wanted to give as much information as possible.

Thanks

I had a similar issue with my cabriolet.  Have you tried adjusting the brass hex head fitting on the cab controller?  The attached picture is the area of focus.  I had to turn the brass head clockwise about a 1/4" for my top to catch and go down.  This is looking from inside the cab toward the back of the car.  The two silver things in the foreground are the rollover protection canisters.

Cab.jpg

Edited by Hobbes

Hobbes. Tried this but it did not help. I have now checked all 9 microswitches and reset/ checked both petentiometers and reset the latches at the windshield. Still no luck. I had a voltage meter on the leads to the hydraulic pump and there is no power being fed to it. Once the clamshell is open and the latch is open I hear a click and the in a few seconds another click, but no power to the pump. My next shot is to switch out the cab control module with one from a friends car that we know works. If that fixes the problem I will know the control module failed. If not I am not sure what I will try next.