Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Turn signal replay problems

1998 ROW C2 Coupe. Mid-way through a drive around town I noticed the dash indicators for the turn signals stopped working. At my next destination, I checked the hazards and turn signals, no flash. I also lost the ability to have "one touch" up for the windows. Lock the car, go about my business. "One touch" down works, not up. So, I get home, sure enough, the fuse for the turn signals/window control is blown. Woohoo for my trouble shooting skills! So I replace the fuse, check the turn signal, fuse immediately blows. RATS! So I am guessing the signal relay has gone to the big parts bin in the sky. I run to the dealer (don't ask, Bahrain is a hard place to fix things) and of course, they do not have one in stock. So, I am ordering one from the US and it will be just as fast as ordering from the dealer, plus I need to order more fuses.

Long story short, while I am at the dealer, I have removed the bad relay (so they can get the part number) and I attempt to lock the car. The alarm starts to continuously double beep. I unlock the door with the key because now the fob won't unlock the door. The car drives fine but I cannot operate the windows at all. They still drop when I open the door, but the console switches do not work. I am at work and when I get home I will put the bad relay back in to see if makes the alarm stop freaking out and the windows work again.

Has anybody experienced this before? Am I operating under the correct assumptions? Replacing the relay should fix this issue?

Well that was anti-climactic. So, got home after stopping for a handful of fuses. Turns out, the driver's side turn signal wire insulation finally fell apart. Go figure after 18 years in the Bahrain heat. It had shorted the wiring which was blowing the fuse. Somehow, that caused the hazard fuse to blow and ALL of the alarm fuses. About 4 or 5. So, after fixing the wires so they weren't touching, and replacing a lot of fuses, everything seems back to normal. Strange that the turn signal bulb would cause this big chain reaction, but, electricity was never my strong area.

• Moderators

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

When the alarm goes off, and even when just setting it, the alarm module flashes the vehicles turn signals.  So shorting one of them can work backwards through the alarm system and get to other components.