Jump to content

Server Lease Renewal/Software Licenses

Our yearly server lease, software licenses, as well as hardware operating costs, ARE due Dec 6th, 2021. Our current donations have fallen far short of the funds we need to renew. Please remember the RennTech.org community is Member supported so please consider a donation to help...  THANK YOU!

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

  • View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

  • No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Mysterious Front End Noise


Recommended Posts

I've searched through the forums and not been able to anyone who has had the same issue.

 

Car in question -

 

2004 4.5 Cayenne S UK Spec 143k

 

Symptoms -

 

Intermittent! 

 

When crawling in traffic between 10 - 20mph there is an occasional rotating noise (similar to a dry bearing) with a clunk on what seems every rotation?

Step on the accelerator and the noise accelerates with the speed of the vehicle. Sometimes getting louder, eventually ending with a clunk that seems like whatever it is has located?!

Also possible on occasion to get rid of the noise by shaking the steering wheel side to side OR using the brakes? 

Does not seem related to engine speed. 

Took the car to the top of a hill and put it in neutral before rolling down and did not get the noise - however as it is intermittent I cannot be sure!

 

Cures attempted thus far  -

 

I have taken it to a independent mechanic who test drove it and the noise did not make itself apparent, he also put it on the ramp and could not find anything loose or obviously about to fail. 

Checked PAS fluid, was quite low, topped up with fresh fluid doesn't seem to have dropped in the last couple of weeks.

 

 

Any advice gratefully received.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Funollie83 said:

I've searched through the forums and not been able to anyone who has had the same issue.

 

Car in question -

 

2004 4.5 Cayenne S UK Spec 143k

 

Symptoms -

 

Intermittent! 

 

When crawling in traffic between 10 - 20mph there is an occasional rotating noise (similar to a dry bearing) with a clunk on what seems every rotation?

Step on the accelerator and the noise accelerates with the speed of the vehicle. Sometimes getting louder, eventually ending with a clunk that seems like whatever it is has located?!

Also possible on occasion to get rid of the noise by shaking the steering wheel side to side OR using the brakes? 

Does not seem related to engine speed. 

Took the car to the top of a hill and put it in neutral before rolling down and did not get the noise - however as it is intermittent I cannot be sure!

 

Cures attempted thus far  -

 

I have taken it to a independent mechanic who test drove it and the noise did not make itself apparent, he also put it on the ramp and could not find anything loose or obviously about to fail. 

Checked PAS fluid, was quite low, topped up with fresh fluid doesn't seem to have dropped in the last couple of weeks.

 

 

Any advice gratefully received.

If shaking steering wheel or braking makes it go away then sound like pad on disc touching an edge, worn caliper bushings, backing plate cover rubbing. But a clunk in the mix doesnt sound like brakes to me. That's more likely a CV joint or front diff. A worn wheel bearing clunking would at low speed would be a very bad noise at higher speeds cornering under load etc. 

Start with brakes, get the noise going and don't steer or accelerate just very light touch the brake so vehicle speed does not really decrease but pads and disc make contact if noise stops you got your way forward. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lewisweller said:

If shaking steering wheel or braking makes it go away then sound like pad on disc touching an edge, worn caliper bushings, backing plate cover rubbing. But a clunk in the mix doesnt sound like brakes to me. That's more likely a CV joint or front diff. A worn wheel bearing clunking would at low speed would be a very bad noise at higher speeds cornering under load etc. 

Start with brakes, get the noise going and don't steer or accelerate just very light touch the brake so vehicle speed does not really decrease but pads and disc make contact if noise stops you got your way forward. 

 

Thanks Lewis, I will try this first and report back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 1:49 PM, lewisweller said:

If shaking steering wheel or braking makes it go away then sound like pad on disc touching an edge, worn caliper bushings, backing plate cover rubbing. But a clunk in the mix doesnt sound like brakes to me. That's more likely a CV joint or front diff. A worn wheel bearing clunking would at low speed would be a very bad noise at higher speeds cornering under load etc. 

Start with brakes, get the noise going and don't steer or accelerate just very light touch the brake so vehicle speed does not really decrease but pads and disc make contact if noise stops you got your way forward. 

 

 

With reference to the above, I can confirm that tapping the brakes does not stop the noise at all. Coming to a complete stop and starting again did though?

Any further suggestions now that the brakes have been eliminated are most welcome!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Funollie83 said:

 

With reference to the above, I can confirm that tapping the brakes does not stop the noise at all. Coming to a complete stop and starting again did though?

Any further suggestions now that the brakes have been eliminated are most welcome!

 

So assuming it is rotating and the noise increase and decreased per revolution? It got to be CV or front diff I think. By hand check the CV for back lash movement and in out movement play. The diff is harder to check. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.