Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Loren...

I went to Sunset today to pick up a filter and an o-ring to do my oil change this coming Saturday. Jeff asked me if I wanted 900-219-009-30 a little tiny O-ring. He said it goes on the base of the cover (I think)...I checked the DIY but I don't see it anywhere...where does this little O-ring go?

Thx..

Jim

• Moderators

This is the O-ring for the filter cannister, and it is not little. It should be in the box with the filter. I think your part number is for the oil pan drain plug.

Tell Jeff to get back to me on the price for a rebuilt power steering rack....

post-4-1115963907_thumb.jpg

Jim there are two "rings" you need. One is metal about the size of a penny and goes on the oil drain plug. The other is a rubber (like the one in the picture above) that goes on the filter cover. The rubber one for the cover should be in the filter box, and the metal ring should be taped to the top of the box.

The metal ring LVDell is referring to is an aluminum seal for the oil drain plug, part number 900-123-106-30. Dependent on who I've purchased parts from sometimes I get the seal taped to the filter box and sometimes I have to request it. Definitely get a new seal -- it compresses to form a tight seal after refitting and torquing the drain plug.

I could be wrong, but I think the little o-ring you're talking about is inside the filter cover at its base. I've never replaced mine but you've got me thinking that I should at some point.

• Admin
Loren...

I went to Sunset today to pick up a filter and an o-ring to do my oil change this coming Saturday. Jeff asked me if I wanted 900-219-009-30 a little tiny O-ring. He said it goes on the base of the cover (I think)...I checked the DIY but I don't see it anywhere...where does this little O-ring go?

Thx..

Jim

That part number (900 219 009 30) is a screw plug M18 x 1,5 that goes in the top of the engine case. Someone misunderstood someone - perhaps the part number is different.

This is the O-ring for the filter cannister, and it is not little.  It should be in the box with the filter.  I think your part number is for the oil pan drain plug.

Tell Jeff to get back to me on the price for a rebuilt power steering rack....

Hi Toolpants...

The O-ring in question is about the size of a nickel made of neo or rubber...its not the filter o-ring...

I spoke with Jeff at Sunset this morning. He said he didn't get an email from you and he apolgizes if he may have overlooked it.

I relayed the info about the rebuilt steering rack from you to him. Here's in the info Jeff gave me.

The sterring rack for the Boxster is the same 1997 and up.

Rebuilt Unit/Part Number 996-347-011-GX

The rebuilt unit is $544.30 with 2 year unlimited warranty. There are 3 in the US and will take about a week to get to Portland.

New Unit/Part Number 996-347-011-07

The new Unit is $788.48 with the same 2 year unlimited warranty. Available in Portland stock.

Core deposit is $150.00 on both new and rebuilt. Refundable only if core was not involved in an accident.

You can give Jeff a call at Sunset: 800-346-0182.

Plug for Jeff at Sunset: Jeff is a TERRIFIC guy and he knows his stuff!!!

Hope this is helpful to you...

Jim

Loren...

Thx..

Jim

That part number (900 219 009 30) is a screw plug M18 x 1,5 that goes in the top of the engine case. Someone misunderstood someone - perhaps the part number is different.

Dell, Loren, ToolPants, Coaster and ebaker

Old Scandahovian saying: One Picture Worth a Thousand Words...check the neo o-ring next to the dime...BTW also check the price for the oild filter...from Jeff at Sunset...post-3706-1116010075_thumb.jpg

Jim there are two "rings" you need.  One is metal about the size of a penny and goes on the oil drain plug.  The other is a rubber (like the one in the picture above) that goes on the filter cover.  The rubber one for the cover should be in the filter box, and the metal ring should be taped to the top of the box.

Hi Dell...

Hows it going?

I heard a rumor that the 2006 (not 2005-this year's) Porsche Parade is going to be in Portland...

If thats the case you gotta make your way up here...neat drive and Oregon is nothing but back roads.

Jim

Loren...

Thx..

Jim

Hi Loren...

That was the p/n for the drain screw (my goof) I bought a new one. But check out picture and invoice above...

Thx...

Jim

Hi Dell...

Hows it going?

I heard a rumor that the 2006 (not 2005-this year's) Porsche Parade is going to be in Portland...

If thats the case you gotta make your way up here...neat drive and Oregon is nothing but back roads.

Jim

That sounds great. I was in PDX last year for about a week when I went to go see DMB at the Gorge. I have a buddy that worked for Subaru near the airport. I'll keep my eyes out for conf of the Porsche Parade. If I am still on the west coast you can count me in!

Thanks for the rack info.

That little O-ring is for the turbo.  The oil filter cannister on a turbo is different than a 996/986.  Jeff must have thought you had a turbo.

You're welcome Tool Pants...

Yep. Jeff didn't realize I only had the rubber band wind up variant and not the turbo.

Thx...

Hi Dell...

Hows it going?

Jim

That sounds great. I was in PDX last year for about a week when I went to go see DMB at the Gorge. I have a buddy that worked for Subaru near the airport. I'll keep my eyes out for conf of the Porsche Parade. If I am still on the west coast you can count me in!

I heard it was a good concert. Tom Petty is coming up to the Gorge, I think in late August or early September. I'm going to try and catch that one...

Jim