Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Advice on torquing down lower control arms

Need advice - just replaced both lower control arms on my 05 CTT, (both in dire need on the rear bushing (ball joints ok, etc.))  Had been experiencing the vibration in the steering wheel at 45-55MPH as well as more pronounced at 70-80MPH, and wouldn't go away with wheel balance.  Both rear bushings were shot... and BTW, found Lemforder at Autohaus AZ for $173ea!!! 

Question is... I read a post that the car should be down on it's wheels when you torque the nuts on the bushings (as well as the steering strut to the control arm) as it is desired to have the ride height of the car as would be standard when you tighten stuff up.

Question is, how do you accomplish this task under the car when somehow you need to get 180lb feet on the nut (and BTW, can't even get my torque wrench on either nut due to clearance around the arm near the nut)?  

I don't necessarily want to put it in the highest air suspension setting (I don't think) as I normally ride in lowered setting...I tried to put the jack under the control arm to compress the control arm to ride height but the air suspension has pumped up the front and has it in 4x4 mode!  

Any thoughts on 1) how to get a torque wrench capable of 180 lbs on the nut and 2) how to do this with zero clearance between the garage floor and the nut for me and a wrench...

I know I'll be headed to a shop for an alignment...maybe they do this on the rack?  Should I just 'get em pretty tight' and then take it to a shop?  How will they get the torque wrench on it?!

Thanks!! 

Edited by PCarMa

• Moderators

There are a couple of ways to do this.  The easiest is to use a drive on ramp lift, even if you need to rent time on it.  Second would be to jack the vehicle up high enough so that you can work on it and then set the  vehicle's tires on something strong enough to support it (use extreme caution here, as your life will depend upon the choices you make).