Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Airbag light & 0016 Code

I recently purchased a 2002 Boxster S tiptronic with 96k on the clock.  The car is 'Salvage' from a previous accident - the damage is fairly cosmetic and has not been repaired yet.

The air bag light is on.  Scanning it with AutoEnginuity with the Porsche specific software yields "0016 Seat Belt Tensioner, Driver".

I've searched for diagnostics on the seat belt tensioners without success, so I purchased a used unit of the same part number (561102901) off eBay.  I installed the new unit, cleared all trouble codes with AutoEnginuity, saw the Airbag light toggle off......and then back on.  I cleared again.....it toggled off.....and then back on.

Any reference I've found to the 0016 code comes up with crank position sensor issues, nothing to do with the Airbag system.

If it's of any value, the car is also reporting the 0023 code in the Air Conditioning category and the Tiptronic category.

Thoughts on my next step?

Thanks all!T5ZLY-_OWuld20-mECFPHQtnmuHxOq_Gk23nbUmU

• Admin

:welcomeani:

As of MY2002 all Porsches have pyrotechnic seat belt tensioners.

That means they are like an airbag - they fire once in an accident and they must be replaced.

You will need to solve one problem at a time if you have any hope getting this car road ready again.

seat belts.png

Thanks Loren!

Do you know what the resistance across the two pins on the seat belt tensioner is supposed to be?
I measured the original one to be about 0.1 ohm.  I didn't bother taking a reading on the new one, although I can take things back apart and check.

I've read about the pyrotechnics in the tensioner, and since the car was in an accident (without blowing airbags) I thought I'd just go ahead and replace the unit.

Unfortunately I'd suspect that nearly all Boxsters being parted out today have been in accidents, and in nearly 100% of accidents there is a driver......making my selection of good used tensioners slim!

• Admin

My understanding is that if the belt tensioner give a fault code then it has been fired and must be replaced.

Your scan tool is not a Porsche specific diagnostic tool so I do not know if it is giving you a proper reading. A Porsche PST2 tester or PIWIS tester will tell you exactly which belt and whether or not it has been fired. Porsche also has a special cable that allows you simulate a firing to test the rest of the control circuit.

You likely want to find a shop that has a Porsche tool and have them run a complete diagnostic on the car. It takes less than 30 minutes and will give you loads of information on all the Porsche specific control units in the car.

• 2 years later...

I know this is somewhat old but my 2000 Boxster has thrown Belt Tensioner codes 24 and 25 (per Durametric scanner) for driver and passenger seats.  Am I correct in assuming my car only has the tensioner at the buckle?  This car had been in an accident where the airbags deployed, to the best of my knowledge.   

I also have code 64 Passenger Seat Occupancy Detector as well as Child Seat Detector.  Are these separate sensors?  Under the seat? 

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Judi 

I picked up contact cleaner and dielectric grease.  I have my car all apart so I can easily get to the grounds and plugs under the seats.   I've cleaned everything well and applied some grease.  I ran the Durametric process and the codes cleared for a nano second.  Same as above, 23, 25, 64, 72.  This car does not have the pretension style belts on either end, receptacle or belt winder.  

As you might expect I'm a bit lost.  I believe there is a sensor under the front bumper to detect an impact and trigger the airbags.  Is this a possibilty?  Any other clues I can try?  

Thanks, Judi

• 3 weeks later...