Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

1999 996, 120k miles

I just changed the leaky coolant resivor tank and air filter.  when I restartted the cat I get a rough idle and the following codes:

P1315 ignition coil 4 primary feedback curcuit

P0305 cylinder 5 misfire  also misfires on cylinders 4 and 6

I think these cylinders are on the opposite side of where the coolant take is.  I can only assume I've loosened something.  

any help appreciated.

thanks,

Hugo

Check the rubber intake tube where the airbox connects to the throttle body and make sure there's no leak. Also check to see if the oil filler tube is cracked. How old are the coils?

Ahsai

Thanks for your suggestion.  I already checked this and there was no leak there.  Ive read other posts concerning these codes and examined the 6 spark plug coils.  The one in the middle on the driver side is in horrible condition.  I't was noticeably in way worse shape than the others.  Ive removed it and ordered a new set of plugs and coils.  I did notice though that this coil and plug are noticeably more difficult to remove than the others because of structural elements in the way.  It looks like several mechanics, over the years simply passed it by because of the difficulty in dealing with it.

I hope this solves my problem but I'm open to additional suggestions.

Definitely replace ALL the coils (and maybe spark plugs too) first then. What have you removed when replacing the coolant tank? Just the airbox, sai pump, coolant tank and some coolant hoses?

you are correct that I removed coolant tank,  airbox, sai pump, coolant hoses and two fuel lines.

everything went back into place fairly easily.  I am concerned that I didnt have this misfire or these codes before the tank swap.  It could be that I did spill some coolant on that side of the engine while removing the tank.  It is also true that the coil on the #2 cylinder is in horrible shape compared to the others...again, probably because past servicer chose to ignore it due to its difficulty to access.

I cant find where the coil wires are attached at the other end.  I would like to check and make sure those ends are properly connected.  Is there any advice on tracing that?