Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Convertible top lid issue

My 2000 c4 top has always worked, that is until today.

Handbrake is on, engine lid is closed, but when I press the dash button nothing happens,meaning the clam lid (not convertible top) does not open up. 

I hooked up my Durametric and error says:

Timed Out

Any thoughts....

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Well stil not fixed, I think I busted something.

While following the instructions to manually opening the clamshell using the provided Allen tool on the bolts on the rear passenger side flap and I heard a snap and then the Allen tool just spun freely so I must have broke a screw... Help!

How can I open the clamshell to see what's broke now?

• 2 weeks later...
On May 31, 2017 at 8:59 PM, Loren said:

Check the easy stuff first...

Fuse B1 is the convertible top controller power (15A).

Fuse B5 is the convertible top controller power (7.5A).

Fuse D3 is the convertible top drive motor. (30A).

Loren I checked all 3 fuses all are good... 

Anything else I should look at?

Well since by now I open/close this whole clam-shell manually and took apart the whole mechanism so many times, I kinda know the process by heart now.

Assuming you already checked the obvious (i.e. no broken fuse, parking brake and light is on, trunk lid is close, light is off, battery is fully charge, etc.)

When you press the button to open (assuming it's close) the latch near your overhead should unlatch. The next thing should happen you should hear a motor running on the back and the clam-shell to raise up. If you don't hear a motor running most likely either the motor busted or the micro-switch on the lid mechanism failed.

You mention you attempt the manual procedure using the allen key, are you sure you turn it the correct way? This screw is tighten to the left and loosen to the right. If you turn the screw all the way to the left it, after so many turn it should stop and tighten. This is also lock the clam-shell. To open the clam-shell you need to make it "lock" and turn it to the right. It should unlatched the three hooks, 1 on the left side, 1 on the right side and and 1 on the back below the Porsche logo. Do it gently and the clam should start rising. When it's about 2" open you actually can pull the clam-shell by hand up and back. This whole process should work assuming that your screw is not actually broken.

Once the clam-shell is completely raised up, if nothing else broken you should be able to press the button and open the top. Don't forget to lock/close the hydraulic nut (left of previously mention the screw if you facing it). 

Well Andre, from what I can tell I must have had a weak part to begin with, definetly something to do with both left and right flaps mechanisms.

I removed the back seat board and took four pictures.

One picture shows the piece that broke off.

Another picture shows the driver side flap not broken, but the threaded bolt wall thread is starting to break.

Another picture shows some die cast part (broken) that held in a threaded bolt in place as passenger side flap opened and closed.

Another picture is of passenger side flap with part that is broken.

So obviously I need to have both left and right flap units replaced.

Other issue is the the clamshell latch mechanism is not functioning either. Will not open or close to release clamshell.

So question is, since I cannot turn the passenger side flap to open or close it, and the clamshell latch will not release, how do I manually unlock the latch so I can at least get the convertible top to get it into service position?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hi msand9898,

Sorry I didn't see your reply. For whatever weird reason the notification email from renntech.org were automatically filtered by gmail and went to the "Promotions" (which I hardly open) instead of directly to inbox. Just happened to see it when I tried to clean up my mailbox.

Anyway, that looks pretty serious break. Something mechanically (I suspect the clamshell) must blocking the movement of the side flap while it was trying to open/close hence broke the piece since the pressure from the thread turning has no where else to go.

The first step for the convertible top to open/close is for the clamshell to raise open. The actual sequence assuming the top was down is as follows (this is just my own amateur observation not the official steps from Porsche so take it with a grain of salt):

1. The rear latch of the clamshell unlock
  2. The convertible top motor turn-on and slowly retracting the metal rod and while doing this it also unlock the 2 side latches
  3. The convertible top motor keep running and continue to raise the clamshell and stop when it raise completely
  4. The 2 side motors turn-on and pulling the side flaps down and stop when the flaps are completely down
  5. The hydraulic pump turn-on and push convertible top up all the way and forward 
  6. The front latch engage and lock the top completely
  7. The convertible top motor turn-on again and push the metal rod which bring down the clamshell to close position and then lock the side latches
  8. The convertible top motor continue running and lock the rear latch then stop completely

So to answer your question, you need to unlatch the 3 locks first. The key is on that Allen wrench screw, which from what you said I'm not sure if it is completely broken or just loose. If it is just loose (easy fix) just keep turn it to the left until it stops, nudge it by giving a little more force to "lock" it in place and then "slowly" turn it to the right (make sure it's not loosen the "lock") if all are good, your clamshell should slowly raising (or at least you should see it moving up a bit).

In the worst scenario that the screw is also broken you might need to take it to the shop. While it might possible to do it yourself it might take a long time to do and difficult since there is almost no space to work on. Especially if you still have the rear canvas/carpet cover in place.

-Andre

• 7 months later...

Late to seeing this thread.

Due to other cabriolet fragility problems both of my side flap nuts were stripped and cracked like your second to last photo.

This causes too much friction to complete the flap open or close process before the cabriolet computer times out.

The factory solution is to replace the entire flap and motor assembly.  Someone with a 3D printer should make an upgraded version of this part.

I was able to source a couple of proper self lubricating 8mm x 1.5 pitch follower nuts, machine them down in every dimension and slide them into the slot.

An expensive trip to the local independent to work their PIWIS magic and the top re-synched first try.

Excuse bad cell pics.

P1030262 resz.jpg

P1030257.JPG