Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2002 Porsche 911/996 Engine Ticking Issue

January  21, 2017 bought car with 48,484 miles on odometer.

February 16, 2017, with 49,595 miles, had new IMS bearing and Direct Oil Feed Line installed.

About mid April, with 52,665 miles, with warmer weather, noticed significant ticking noise at cold start up.  Noise continues until engine gets somewhat warm, at about 3 miles, then quits.

Oil is fresh Mobile 1, 10 W 40, using Porsche oil filter.

After researching, options appear to be:

Use a thicker oil.  Owners manual calls for 10 W 40, 15 W 40, & 15 W 50 as options; maybe try Mobile 1, 10 W 40, Hight Mileage oil?

Try Liqui Moly Hydraulic Noise Additive?

Try Liqui Moly MOS2 Oil Additive, or both?

Have read all the posts I can find so far…All input and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Jones, Raleigh, NC

• Admin

:welcomeani:

Factory fill is Mobil 1 0W-40.

Other approved oils for the 996 series are 5W-40 and 5W-50.

Personally I would not try any of the "additives" - I have never seen one of those work and in some cases may be the root of other problems. (snake oil?)

How long between start ups?

If it is more than a day or two I would say that is normal as the oil drains out of the heads. As long as it goes away within a few miles I would not worry about it.

• Upvote 1

Many thanks for the reply.

In general it occurs after a day or more between start ups.  Has occurred on the same day when very hot outside and after the engine cools for say 3-4 hours. 

Your view of using a heavier oil?

Your view of the 10 W 40 Mobile 1 High Mileage Oil?  It is A3 qualified.  I had a long conversation with a Mobil 1 Tech Rep in Texas and he did not advise against it.

I don't see a 5 W 40 on the Mobile1 list but there is a 5 W 50 on their list.

Would you try a heavier oil?  If so which one?

Thanks

bj

• Admin

From the Porsche TSB showing "approved oils"...

oils.png

I live in the central valley of California - summers temperatures here exceed 108 F fairly often during the summer. I use 0W-40 Mobil 1 and keep my radiators clean with no issues. That includes track days.

• Upvote 1

Many thanks for the reply.

In general it occurs after a day or more between start ups.  Has occurred on the same day when very hot outside and after the engine cools for say 3-4 hours. 

Your view of using a heavier oil?

Your view of the 10 W 40 Mobile 1 High Mileage Oil?  It is A3 qualified.  I had a long conversation with a Mobil 1 Tech Rep in Texas and he did not advise against it.

I don't see a 5 W 40 on the Mobile1 list but there is a 5 W 50 on their list.

Would you try a heavier oil?  If so which one?

Thanks

bj 

As Loren highlighted, a 10w-40 does not appear on the A40 list for a good reason. A quality 0w-40 or 5w-40 is more than adequate.

However, I would also ask what filter you are using?

Ticking in the heads when cold usually indicates a failed anti drain back valve in the oil filter. However, the use of overly heavy (when cold) 10w-40 certainly isn't helping the issue one bit.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

20003 - 996 - 64K Miles - Mobil One 0-40 - Oil 12 months old and done about 5K 

Stop worrying.  I drove my 996 yesterday.  It had been standing for 6 weeks as we have been away on hols. It was ticking on start up, but the noise soon disappeared.  The air temperature was about 20 Deg C.

As Loren said I wouldn't see this as unusual.

I used to have a similar noise with a VW Golf some years back. The hydraulic tappets used to clatter like blazes on start up but the noise soon disappeared after a few moments.    

H

Many thanks to you all for your input.

The filter is Porsche OEM.

Today at 82 degrees F, and after the car had sat for a couple of days, I started it up and let it idle till it reached Norm op temp.

I did not time it but it was probably 8 minutes or so.

Till it reached op temp I did hear some ticking noise, but I guess I would not consider it particular loud, sort of VW Beetle sounding that I've heard in the past.  It did not seem as loud as the past time or two

At op temp that went away and all sounded fine.

Remembering it's a 15 year old car with 54K maybe I am just being too sensitive to noises.  It's our first flat six car so may have to just get us to it.  Who knows???  haha

Again, thanks for the input.

bj

Many thanks to you all for your input.

The filter is Porsche OEM.

Today at 82 degrees F, and after the car had sat for a couple of days, I started it up and let it idle till it reached Norm op temp.

I did not time it but it was probably 8 minutes or so.

Till it reached op temp I did hear some ticking noise, but I guess I would not consider it particular loud, sort of VW Beetle sounding that I've heard in the past.  It did not seem as loud as the past time or two

At op temp that went away and all sounded fine.

Remembering it's a 15 year old car with 54K maybe I am just being too sensitive to noises.  It's our first flat six car so may have to just get us to it.  Who knows???  haha

Again, thanks for the input.

bj

Mine makes zero ticking at just under 49k miles (99 C2 Cab). Granted, the 0w-40 Pennzoil Platinum Euro I have in there has only been in about 1k miles, but the 6k old Mobil 1 0w-40 that got drained out didn't allow any ticking, either. Zero as in none, even if you put your head right under the cylinder heads. Even after sitting for two weeks. Porsche OEM filter until next change, when I will install my LN filter adapter.

I made my comment about the anti drain back valve because I thought you were using an LN screw on filter adapter.

I agree that a little noise from the hydraulic lash adjusters is not a big deal, but I'm a fan of eliminating noses like that if I can. Especially if they're occurring at over 80F ambient temp.

Some ticking at 50F or colder I wouldn't bat an eyelash at.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk