Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil Starvation on 3.4L Vs 3.6L

Was the oil pickup issue (starvation at high 1g cornering loads) addressed on the later 3.6L motors at the factory?

I am aware of the kit which is available to fix this issue on the 3.4L motors - just curious if the factory has cured the problem on the later motors or not.

Thanks

• Admin

The later 3.4 liter cars are better than the early ones as they changed the internal baffles. The 3.6 liter cars got additional oil pump capacity and as well the baffles. The 3.6 Powerkit upgrade took this even a little further with a second oil pickup point and a new baffle system. But, Porsche still recommends that if you use racing tires you should by the Porsche MotorSports Kit and install it. (Some engine disassembly is required).

I contacted PMSNA and they want $1360 for the kit including slight machine work to the 4-6 cam cover, not including labor ($5-700 est). It is my understanding, as Loren pointed out above, even the 3.6 requires an oiling upgrade on the 4-6 side.

Since these are also X51 parts, does anyone (Loren??) have the part numbers for the oil pan, scavenging pump(4-6 side) with pickup tube , and the cam cover(4-6) for both 3.4 and 3.6. If I could get the parts for a good price, it might be very do-able as an advanced DIY project.

Loren, which 3.4 have the improved baffle system? Mine is a 9/99 build.

Edited by dj996

• Admin

Doug,

My documents don't have a build date or VIN number but from what I can tell it was changed in either late 1998 builds or early 1999 builds. My car is a June 99 build and it has changes.

I'll send you an email with all the 3.6 X51 kit parts. There was also an X51 kit for the 3.4 liter that was not sold in the US. I think I have instructions but may not part numbers for that kit.

• 4 weeks later...

Cool to know. What's really weird is that my friend's c4s showed worse starvation issue by the tale of the guage around corners than my 99 did. And yes it drive it equally as hard, but probably harder. Weird. I am although a pretty smooth driver, yet so is he. I am "baffled" pun intended- muhahah