Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Engine Model Number?

Hello,
I am looking at a 2000 996 that supposedly had an engine replacement (date/mileage can't be verified, or that it happened).  Based on the model number of M96/0466Yxxxxxx, I guess it probably was?
Any way to tell if this would be a single row vs the possible double row it came with?  Considering but concerned as the car has been sitting for quite a while since (possible) engine replacement.
Thank you for any input.

M96/04  66Y  is a 2000 MY engine, so it may be original.  No way to tell if it is a single row or double row IMSB.  MY 2000 is when they began a mix of engines with both dual row and then single row bearings.  Just factor in having the bearing replaced, with the LN Solution being the best.

Engine Numbers Years.JPG

• Thanks 1

Thank you, DBJoe996.  That was kind of what I was thinking.  I had heard 2000 was a transition year, but thank you for the thought it's probably original.  I heard that Porsche replacements included an "AT" in the model number, which this lacks.  I agree, I'll offer with the reduction of the solutions being performed.  Wish me luck!  ?

Thanks!

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Jack5j said:

Thank you, DBJoe996.  That was kind of what I was thinking.  I had heard 2000 was a transition year, but thank you for the thought it's probably original.  I heard that Porsche replacements included an "AT" in the model number, which this lacks.  I agree, I'll offer with the reduction of the solutions being performed.  Wish me luck!  ?

Thanks!

ALL factory reman engines carry “AT” in the number sequence to indicate it is a factory reman.  Yours many simply be a replacement from another source like a wreck.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Jack5j said:

Thank you JFP in PA!  Where is your shop?  (I am in MD)  Is 1.25 bars okay at idle temp in your opinion?

I'm a little unsure of what you are referring to, so I will assume it is oil pressure.  1.25 bar is around 18 PSIG, which could be a little low, but without knowing the weight and condition of the oil would be speculation.

Yes, I'm sorry.  I was referring to Oil Pressure.  I am looking at a car for possible purchase.  Last week it was at a steady 2, but at 1.25 today at idle.  Like you said, I'm not sure of what is in there either.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Jack5j said:

Yes, I'm sorry.  I was referring to Oil Pressure.  I am looking at a car for possible purchase.  Last week it was at a steady 2, but at 1.25 today at idle.  Like you said, I'm not sure of what is in there either.

I would do two things:

1. Change the oil and filter, switching the car to Joe Gibbs DT40, which is a 5W-40 full synthetic with high levels of ZDDP.
  2. Porsche released an oil pressure "upgrade kit" which consists of a new pressure relief plunger, a longer spring, and an end plug seal.  The entire kit sells for around $20 and can be installed at any time (you will only lose about 1 cup of oil out of the pump), but this was designed to raise the low RPM pressure a bit.

Parts:

• Piston 997.107.125.01 
  • Spring 996.107.127.53
  • Gasket 996.107.123.50

oil control valve 1.png

oil control valve 2.png

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Jack5j said:

YOU ARE FREAKING INCREDIBLE!  THANK YOU!!

I feel the purchase has to happen.  4 times in the past week I have looked at the clock, no kidding at all,  it was 9:11.

When you do the pressure kit upgrade, just be sure the original piston comes out (they sometimes stick). If it doesn't drop out, slide a small diameter magnetic pick up tool into the shaft and pull it out (it is steel and will stick to the magnet). 

• Moderators

I will!  Do you have your own shop?  Are you in PA?

I am in PA, and owned my shop for many years, but recently have sold the main business to retire (at 72 years, you get tired of oil dripping in your face). 

• Haha 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Jack5j said:

Congratulations!  It's apparently in your blood!  What area?  Parents were from Hazelton.

Well, after more than four decades, you pick up a thing or two, even if it is just the oil absorbed into your forehead.  Hazelton is a bit north of us, about an hour or so.  We are in an area so small that we don't even have our own post office, we borrow a neighboring communities PO.  Eventually, we will be relocating to SC where I have a vacation home.  I intend to keep my hand in with a small (read very small) shop at the house in SC were I will be taking in a couple of "projects" from time to time, but not on a full time basis (the Mrs. would have my head if I did).

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Sounds like heaven, and heading to another!  I'm not far south, just over the bridge from Annapolis.  Yell if you are ever this way, I'll buy you a crab cake!!

Believe it or not, I pass through your way just about every month.  My missus and I are major supporters of the Calvert Marine Museum in Solomons, MD, and in particular their North American River Otter program.  We spend time each month volunteering at the facility, doing food prep for all the creatures in their aquarium section, and playing with our three favorite fur-balls, Chessie - Grace, Chumley, and Calvert:

40684191_2079652188713592_19672221654848

That is great!  Also, CRAZY!  I was just minutes from Solomons...looking at this car!  I'm hoping another trip and I'll be driving it home.
I never knew they had them at the Museum.  Born and raised in MD, but need to go there!  Love the pic!   I'll buy lunch one trip down, you have helped on MANY threads.  
Not far at all.  

• Moderators

Small world.

While it is currently closed for Jan and Feb for some renovations, visit the museum when you get the chance, particularly if you have kids, as it is focused on education about the heritage, history, and wildlife of the Chesapeake of southern Maryland, much of which has disappeared over the last fifty years.  And there are several excellent seafood restaurants on Solomons Island as well.

http://www.calvertmarinemuseum.com

• Like 1

Sounds like a road trip!  I can't wait for warmer weather as I have 2 Boxsters...one may go for the 911, though.
I certainly will make a day trip there.  Kids are older, but sounds like something they may like, especially if I throw the Tiki Bar in.  Last I was there was '83?

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Jack5j said:

Sounds like a road trip!  I can't wait for warmer weather as I have 2 Boxsters...one may go for the 911, though.
I certainly will make a day trip there.  Kids are older, but sounds like something they may like, especially if I throw the Tiki Bar in.  Last I was there was '83?

Don't bet on the Tiki Bar, owner recently died and the joint is closed and up for sale.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Jack5j said:

Oh.  I am sorry to hear that.  I have been on this side of the Bay too long.  I used to be in SOMD during the first 38 years of my life.  I need to visit again.

Seems the owner's wife has no interest in running the joint, but is asking $3.9 million for the site.