Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Decoding an engine VIN

1997 Boxster original California car with 118,000 miles on the odometer.

Last digits of the VIN#  S625521

the engine Ser# M96/2065V15144

Are the last few numbers suppose to match?

If yes and they are different, any way of finding out more details about this engine?

The engine sounds good at idle with good balanced exhaust flow & no blow-by from the crank case.

Thanks to this community I have decided that it should be pulled before seeing another life of pleasure.

Debris in the bottom of the pan shows eminent IMS failure as well as pieces of plastic from a chain guide or tensioner. 

Although an electric motor expert, I feel quite comfortable with this project.

In fact I am very impressed with the engineering gone into these cars! ( Albeit the IMS thing : )

Jacking this car one sees just how well balanced they are, simply amazing.

This particular car has absolutely no rust, for me this will be a pleasure to work on!

Cheers,

Mark

In no way do  the VIN numbers and engine numbers match on a Porsche.  About the only way to find out if the engine is original to the car is to order a Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche with the VIN.  That should list the original engine number.

Thank you for the clarification!

That's some handy resources you have there Loren ...

I considered doing the Porsche Authenticity report, but you quickly learn working on these cars they're not made in China   ; )

Fact is I'm owner number 9.  I suspect many things have been changed on this car and it's more likely seen it's fair share of services centers.

The Tiptronic trany is oily whereas the engine is quite clean  : /

This Boxster is at the point in it's life that it will either be a money pit or a great car for a enthusiast!!

Hopefully the latter ... having done the majority of my own auto repairs from engine rebuilding to body work (ugh), this car has found a good home!!

Mark