Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 door lock assembly

HI all- is there a video that anyone may have handy on replacing the door lock assembly on the 996.  It was the micro switch problem discussed on prior forums.  I've purchased the door lock assembly and have the door panel off and I am in deep.  what I cannot figure out how to do is pull out the old assembly and install the new assembly.  I've searched many sites, (spent an hour searching this one) with no luck yet.

Any help would be appreciated

Job Complete!  Thanks so much to DB Joe and Ashai for all of the help on this issue.  Ashai helped so much with the diagnosis and links and DB Joe with the step by step link with pics.  If anyone needs help with this I will pay it forward as well.  A couple of scary things happened.  Stripped the bolt holding the door latch in (2 of them) even though I used the 8mm xzn driver.  I still managed to get the stripped bolt out.  local Porsche place helped me with 2 new bolts.  Then while negotiating the old door latch assembly out, the door handle had to come out as well (somewhat unintentionally).  Managed to piece it all back together.  all trim back in place.  No broken clips.  no damage to the barrier and put back into position.  Overall a satisfying weekend job.  I will say, typical jobs like this the second one would be much faster...I don't believe this one would be.  it's a time consuming step by step ensuring you don't hurt any trim etc along the way.  it takes patience.  Buy the XZN drive well before the job....not easy to find and you may need to order on line.  Autozone had one for VW brake calipers and the kid knew what it was due to him having a Jetta...all else at 5 different locations I asked had never even heard of such a tool.

PS- the name is 04V6 due to my original Cayenne.  I know my 03 996 Targa is not a "V6".  but not changing the name so I don't lose the past chains

Edited by jay04v6

• 3 weeks later...

I recently did this job (coincidentally also on a 2003 Targa!) and it was exactly like you just described.  You gotta have that XZN before you start.  It is definitely a job of patience but really isn't too difficult.  

One thing I noticed was that the old assembly had an extra plastic piece on that was pretty good size while the new one didn't.  I didn't swap it over as it made the install much easier with a tad more room.  Was that the same for you?