Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I noticed the last three days that my 997.2 C4S drips a good amount of oil on the drive overnight. I had a look at it today (and parked it in a different spot to gauge the amount of oil). I thought it might be a slightly loose drain plug or something, but appears to be coming from the rear of the engine somewhere. ?Does anyone have any ideas? I can't see where it's coming from. the major drips seem to come from the bolt at the center of the picture.

Expensive or really really expensive to fix?

IMG_3723.thumb.JPG.d69420dd479a0f08cee3496ec3e54e70.JPG

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, dammad said:

I noticed the last three days that my 997.2 C4S drips a good amount of oil on the drive overnight. I had a look at it today (and parked it in a different spot to gauge the amount of oil). I thought it might be a slightly loose drain plug or something, but appears to be coming from the rear of the engine somewhere. ?Does anyone have any ideas? I can't see where it's coming from. the major drips seem to come from the bolt at the center of the picture.

Expensive or really really expensive to fix?

IMG_3723.thumb.JPG.d69420dd479a0f08cee3496ec3e54e70.JPG

Without a good look, it is almost impossible to say where it is coming from.  A good start would be to clean off the engine and then monitor it for leaks...…..

Like JFP said throughly clean engine, including the topside, I say that because liquid flows downhill and could be coming from filter cap or filler cap
Once you get the engine spotless and dry, spray some ARRID XXX DRY deodorant on suspect areas (sounds crazy but we use it on radial aircraft Engines to trace leaks, it works) then run the engine till it’s warm, hopefully it’s nothing more than a loose cap/fitting

• Moderators
1 hour ago, t6pilot said:

Like JFP said throughly clean engine, including the topside, I say that because liquid flows downhill and could be coming from filter cap or filler cap
Once you get the engine spotless and dry, spray some ARRID XXX DRY deodorant on suspect areas (sounds crazy but we use it on radial aircraft Engines to trace leaks, it works) then run the engine till it’s warm, hopefully it’s nothing more than a loose cap/fitting

Long before I would be spraying deodorant all over an engine, I would add Uview UV oil dye to the oil and trace it with a black light; works like a charm but does not smell as nice.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay.. Have some of the UV stuff coming today, but using my old endoscope to have a look around. Oil seems to be pooling to the rear and left (drivers side) of a grey circular thing behind the oil filler pipe in the center of the engine. See top left of the first picture. The second picture is a view below and to the left (drivers) of that grey thing. Other areas look clean dry but can't get to see behind the grey circular thing.

frontaos.GIF.9e56f01ff2b0021bf153daff18c1e522.GIF1458164075_oilpool.GIF.26289c4dbe097d7553daf67f565b4f7b.GIF

I assume this is the AOS based on looking over parts diagrams. The oil filler pipe looks dry and clean where it connects so assume is fine until I get the UV stuff in. 

Edited by dammad
pics

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Uh oh! The problem is back. Car was a bit rough yesterday, so I pulled off the air box this morning to check around. I've got oil in the same places above the engine. I checked the plenum/throttle body and it is very oily. Oil is sitting on top of the engine block on the left and right side of the engine.

Now I'm torn. Did the shop not put the AOS in right? Are there other things that can cause oil in these places? 

I'm tempted to do the dye in the oil but would have to take the plenum, etc. off to be able to get a black light in there and I'm not really sure what the candidate components are to look for/at. 

Any suggestions?

I’ve spent a while looking at the dye from the test around the engine bay. Most seems to have dripped from the seals at the plenum bottom causing a light amount of dye in the pools of oil below.

I do see a little oil at the AOS’s top valve (breather?) but not much. When an AOS dies does oil come out from the AOS itself or does it just cause the vent lines and air intake to get oily? I’ve *lots* of oil in the plenum.

Any help appreciated. Lost as to the cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk