Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 engine compartment fan override

I was wondering if anyone has over-ridden this fan so that as soon as you turn the key it starts up????

In florida where its been in the 100's this car is just unable to remain cool

I over-rode the radiator fans but am now trying to find a way to do the same for the rear fan??????

Can anyone help me?

• Admin

Sorry, but something is wrong. I live in northern California and we 22 plus days per year of over 100 degrees (as high as 115) and my car remains cool -- without any fan overrides and my engine compartment purge fan almost never runs.. Granted I added the 3rd radiator but that 3rd radiator does not have a fan at all. You likely need to remove your front bumper and clean any debris. Once off then clean the AC condensers and also loosen them so you can clean the actual radiator behind them. See my 3rd radiator install DIY for more info...

You could also have a stuck thermostat or better yet switch to a lower temperature thermostat for the 996... 

LNENGINEERING.COM

<p>Did you know the factory thermostat doesn't start to even open until 186.8F and doesn't fully open until almost 210F? This causes hot spots inside your engine that can result in cracked heads and cylinder failures from overheating. Our 160F low tempera

Have to agree with Loren.  Sounds like something is wrong.  I'm in Florida, the heat is many times over 100 and my engine compartment fan rarely runs.  It might be difficult to find a switched source of 12V with sufficient amps to run the engine compartment fan all the time. The engine compartment fan is controlled by a sensor between the intake manifolds,  and conditions are monitored by the ECU, so the fan could run even after the car is turned off.  Start with cleaning the radiators, putting in a low temp thermostat, drain, flush and refill the coolant.  Only Porsche coolant and 50/50 mix with distilled water for a refill is recommended.  Exactly how hot is your car running?