Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replace Suspension

How many kilometers should be necessary to replace suspension system and thinking springs has arrived at the end of life?

:drive:

74000km.

boxster 2.5 MY99

what do you think?

Regards.

Edited by valcax

It very much depends on the type of roads that the car was used on. 74,000 Km is not really very high, and if it was on good surface motorway type roads then there is no reason to believe that the suspension is bad.

Is the car handling badly? Are there noises (clunking noises) comijng from the suspension as you drive?

It very much depends on the type of roads that the car was used on. 74,000 Km is not really very high, and if it was on good surface motorway type roads then there is no reason to believe that the suspension is bad.

Is the car handling badly? Are there noises (clunking noises) comijng from the suspension as you drive?

I lost control in a curve, and I am looking for reasons...

What do your tires look like??? How do you mean lost control??? Was the road wet or maybe some oil on it, How fast were you going, did you ride the brakes hard while making the turn????

What do your tires look like??? How do you mean lost control??? Was the road wet or maybe some oil on it, How fast were you going, did you ride the brakes hard while making the turn????

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5296

Regards.

If you're worried about your springs, check your ride height. 74K kms doesn't seem that high.

I would suspect alignment before suspension. Alignment is something you need to check on a regular basis--especially if you intend to drive your car hard.

• 2 weeks later...
If you're worried about your springs, check your ride height.  74K kms doesn't seem that high. 

I would suspect alignment before suspension.  Alignment is something you need to check on a regular basis--especially if you intend to drive your car hard.

Today I have tested suspension efficiency with test machine:

results:

front

left: 59%

right: 57%

rear

left:57%

right: 52%

Is it Ok? what do you think...?

Ummm... I have never heard of "suspension efficiency"? Maybe this is some concocted marketing term to increase the amount of repairs?

You should be checking ride heights measured in inches or mm and compare to what others are. You should be checking alignment terms like toe and camber. For shocks/struts, you would be checking for excessive porpoising when going over bumps/dips and/or oil leaking from the units. With your low mileage, I would suspect alignment first. Unless your roads are absolutely terrible, suspensions don't wear out that fast. Alignments, however, can go out fairly easily.

There is such a thing as suspension efficiency. There are machines that exercise the suspension and measure the results.

I just replaced the springs/shocks on my 1999 Boxster which had 70k miles (112k km) and they were long overdue. The car's ability to absorb shocks was very bad. I should have replaced them a long time ago.

Shocks and springs degrade gracefully so there's no one time to replace them. I think next time I will probably replace them at 50k miles (80k km).