Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Steering wheel help

I would like to install a momo wheel, but havent been able to find detailed instructions on how to get it done, or which adapter kit is needed. I contacted momo directly several months ago and never received a reply. If anyone is able to provide detailed instructions on how its done, aswell as a PN or inventory photo of which adapter kit is used I would appreciate it. I would rather not extend the wheel too much farther towards the seat if possible, so if some sort of short adapter exists that would be ideal, and also to retain horn function and keep the srs light off. Somthing like the attached photo is what im looking to achieve.

245332eebf85f7951a86c764886b2be5.jpg

I had a similar Momo on my 911sc. It was a Momo “corse” with a Porsche emblem horn button.  I do not believe you will find any commercial adapter kit for a 996. To put on a Momo-style wheel you would have to disable and remove the airbag.  Too much liability for any manufacturer to put anything like that on the market.  It is a do-it-yourself all the way.  It’s very unlikely any reputable shop would even help with the work. imho of course. 

All modern cars, sure. But not my point. I don’t think anyone would make a kit to do a conversion. It’s all a do-it-yourself project. Good luck. Don’t hit anything head on. 

Edited by judgejon
Correction

Very nice setup. I find hub adapters for almost all cars, but for the 996 I am not sure which will work. I even find kits that include resistors for keeping the srs light off, and the wiring for the horn button. I even found a guy that makes custom horn buttons.

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Eștii said:

Dont all modern cars have airbags in the wheel? I dont mind losing it, in fact I prefer it.

Removing, or disabling, a Federally mandated safety feature, like an air bag, will require failing the car at state inspection in many areas of the country.

Like at CA smog check? Im on good terms with my smog tech. But really I didnt ask what the consequences are of removing airbags etc. I am aware, I only asked what is required to get the job done, if anyone knows the procedure and to provide some assistance if possible.