Jump to content

The RennTech.org community is Member supported!  Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating.
Click here to Donate

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

  • View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

  • No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Recommended Posts

The coolant is contaminated with oil and the coolant level was low.  The engine has been running great and I think I noticed this before seriously damaging the engine. I'm not sure where to begin to diagnose the problem.. The oil shows no sign of water contamination .  I'm wondering if its just the oil cooler leaking or something more serious like a cylinder liner crack or cracked crankcase  

The car is in great shape otherwise but replacing the engine isn't worth the cost. any suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
    You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

4 hours ago, judgejon said:

Head gasket?

 

Seriously doubt a head gasket as they are multi layer steel and acutally stronger than the heads or engine case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Earl Jones said:

The coolant is contaminated with oil and the coolant level was low.  The engine has been running great and I think I noticed this before seriously damaging the engine. I'm not sure where to begin to diagnose the problem.. The oil shows no sign of water contamination .  I'm wondering if its just the oil cooler leaking or something more serious like a cylinder liner crack or cracked crankcase  

The car is in great shape otherwise but replacing the engine isn't worth the cost. any suggestions?

 

Two possibles: Oil cooler or cracked cylinder head.  Cooler can be removed and pressure tested easily, if it is sound, you have a cracked head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JFP in PA said:

 

Seriously doubt a head gasket as they are multi layer steel and acutally stronger than the heads or engine case.


i really never knew that. Good info. I’ve been known to almost literally blow my gasket once in awhile, but only did that once in a car.  Pushing my hot Fiat 124 over a mountain years ago. Next rear car was the 911SC. Real car, not a toy car. Never looked back. Thanks, J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I went through something similar. Bought a 99;Cab with a coolant oil intermix issue. Rebuilt the engine and had the heads repaired. Cracked Rh cylinder head.
Your cheapest option is to find a used motor and have someone install it. Lots of unknowns going that way.

Have a shop pull the engine and just do the cylinder head repairs. 
Pull the engine and replace with a short block and repair the heads.

If you’re not attached to the car, Sell it as a roller and move on.

 

How many miles on the car and what condition is it in? Get some estimates on the various options and you’ll have a better idea on how to proceed.

 

Best of luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Short block? I recall some posts from a fellow in Santa Rosa, CA, if I recall correctly, who actually put a Chevy 327, or possibly a 283, in his Porsche.  It fit, though tight.  He had to do some suspension work too I recall.  Check search engine, it’s probably in there somewhere.  How about a blower scoop coming up from the engine through the air grate?  Good luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, judgejon said:

Short block? I recall some posts from a fellow in Santa Rosa, CA, if I recall correctly, who actually put a Chevy 327, or possibly a 283, in his Porsche.  It fit, though tight.  He had to do some suspension work too I recall.  Check search engine, it’s probably in there somewhere.  How about a blower scoop coming up from the engine through the air grate?  Good luck. 

 

We have a member here that has a 996 with a small block Chevy in it, he summed up the experience by saying he would not do it again...……………...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just went through this on my 01.  Cracked cylinder head.  There is a shop in Georgia called Hoffman Automotive.  They rebuilt the heads to factory specs drilled and filled the crack and did stage 1 porting.  $2250 total cost for that repair.  Back in and running perfectly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.