Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New engine... what else should be done?

Hello all!

Sadly the engine on my 2000 Cab Tip with 97000 miles on it bit the dust last month.  I know everyone loves to know the details of the sad demise of our beloved M96 engines, so I'll provide the reader's digest version:

I noticed when I had the engine compartment open a few weeks ago that the coolant level low. I warmed up the engine and the level didn't rise up enough to reach the "low" mark on the reservoir, so I added a bit to even it out. I came back to check it again a couple days later and I noticed a similar condition with a small leak that appeared to be the reservoir tank itself. I found this odd, as the tank was replaced with an OEM tank when I had an IMS solution installed last year, but it's so common, I figured that was my problem. At that time I had some brake work I wanted to do, so I put her up on the lift in my garage and got to work. It took a week for me to finish up my project. When I took the car off the lift I attempted to start the car. I really should have looked at the coolant tank, for if I had I would have seen that it was bone dry. The engine tried to turn, there was a loud bang, and I wet my pants. The engine had hydro-locked. I drained 10-12L of an oil and coolant mixture from the engine. This is when I had it towed to my indy (a good guy by the way). He hooked it up to pressure test and water poured out of cylinder 6. Trying to turn the engine by hand resulted in a bind. It seems trying to start a hydro-locked engine results in exactly what you'd think. (destroyed cylinder, bent rods, ect)

Happily I have found a salvage 1999, front end damage only, with 60,000 miles on it for an amazing price.  I know there's always hand ringing about used engines, but for this price I really can't justify a rebuild instead, especially with a core that I might not get much for.  Regardless, this brings me to my discussion question:  What would you do during the swap? 

Here are my definite items:

LN IMS solution (I already have one on the old engine to swap over... just need a new collar after we take it out)

Water pump

RMS

AOS

Here are my maybes:

chain rails

fab speed exhaust

Any other thoughts?

• Moderators

Get LN’s replacement oil pump drive shaft; the factory unit is investment cast junk, LN’s is chrome moly steel.  Well worth the twenty some dollar price.

I would also get all new hydraulic chain tensioners and their sealing rings, you have no idea the condition of the ones in the replacement engine, and while you have everything locked down to move the IMS Solution over, it is the prefect time to update them.