Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

P1397 camshaft bank 2 position sensor

Car was in accident 7 years ago and not started since.   Driver side front damage and now will not start.  Fault code 1397 camshaft position sensor is active, checked and have 5v and ground at sensor connector so replaced sensor, reset code, still no start and 1397 is active again.  

Because power and ground is at sensor fairly certain wire harness is good between engine computer and sensor.  Any thoughts on next steps, internal engine issue???

A quick Google search for P1397 got this

And you need to check your wiring harness for rodent damage.  Depends on where it was sitting for 7 years, but it is entirely possible that something has  chewed up your wiring....somewhere.

Edited by DBJoe996

1 hour ago, DBJoe996 said:

A quick Google search for P1397 got this

And you need to check your wiring harness for rodent damage.  Depends on where it was sitting for 7 years, but it is entirely possible that something has  chewed up your wiring....somewhere.

Thanks DBJoe996, pretty sure the harness is good because I have 5 volts and ground at the sensor.  

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Dan Novreske said:

Thanks DBJoe996, pretty sure the harness is good because I have 5 volts and ground at the sensor.  

Sure, but what about the wire that carries the signal from the sensor to the DME, which is reading a strange value?

Ok, checked continuity of the 3 wires between camshaft position sensor 2 (hall sensor) and DME, all three are good.  No shorts to ground, no shorts to each other.  The wires harness and connectors look nice probably not touched since car was built.

What do you think, timing chain issue?  Should next step be check timing or something else?

1 hour ago, JFP in PA said:

I would be checking the output readings (cam angles and deviation values) from the sensor to see what it is telling the DME.

Engine only cranks, no start and backfires on drivers side.  Will I even get output readings during crank?  Does removing the green plugs allow me to visually see timing marks to determine if good or bad?

• Moderators

A Porsche specific scan tool should see something during crank over.  Removing the cam plugs will give you an approximation of the cam positions, but there are no marks, only the slots the cam bollocking tool fits into, which should be exactly vertical when the engine is at TDC:

spacer.png

9 hours ago, JFP in PA said:

A Porsche specific scan tool should see something during crank over.  Removing the cam plugs will give you an approximation of the cam positions, but there are no marks, only the slots the cam bollocking tool fits into, which should be exactly vertical when the engine is at TDC:

spacer.png

Thanks JFP in PA, I will check this out over the weekend.  I have a Autel generic scan tool.  Maybe I will get the Durametric tool if it looks like this engine is not catastrophic failure.  Engine has <45,000 miles.  

• 1 year later...