Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

01 996 convertible top tonneau clamshell motor driving me crazy

Hi folks,

Can someone please explain to me how the top tonneau clamshell lid motor (Fig.1) engages with the unlatching cords mechanism (Fig.3)?

I already changed two motors, replaced the inner rod with the plastic potentiometer gear and I still can't properly operate the clamshell cover.

If you look at the motor (Fig.2), only the outer ring with the small grooves will rotate but it will not engage with the metal part of the unlatching mechanism (Fig.3)

Am I missing something? I can ear the motor working when I operate the top but it doesn't unlatch or move if I don't do it manually. 

I only have a Time Out error on PIWIS and cannot complete the calibration, or even worse one time the soft top tried to fold over the closed clamshell cover...

Thanks for your help!

9DA5ECDE-E9D6-482F-820B-C74D4ED0DD13.jpeg

004A9032-32AF-4A36-B9B8-E1C9E8348095.jpeg

933107CA-4145-4284-ABB2-8C5387615C74.jpeg

Edited by Doohan

I cannot figure out how the groove part could get traction over the rounded metal surface, is there some kind of friction required? Shall I overtight the motor to the black assembly?

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the repair kit for the top tonneau clamshell lid motor  996-561-673-00. Replaced the shaft and set the potentiometer at 6.2 K Ohms before re-installing.

Now I have other problems:

IMG_5710.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Loren said:

I suggest running a top calibration.

Thanks Loren,

I tried several times but it always get stuck at the same position, with the half top portion vertical. The screenshot above is what is left in the fault memory...

I will give it another try... I've already rebuilt the top latch that was misaligned by 3 notch in the positioning gear, I will move it of another notch to try to match the original synch.

If that works I'll have to deal with the dead (inaktiv!) side flaps, although they are not as expensive as the rest.

244727368_ScreenShot2020-08-18at9_36_36PM.thumb.png.a01469386560e01a1c64726848aa2598.png